Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    I think "Raising Your Spirited Child" by Mary Kurcinka is a great book. It helped me see my DD's qualities in a more positive light. For example, "stubborn" has a negative connotation but "persistent" is positive.

Here is a list from the book:

Negative:Positive

demanding:holds high standards
    unpredictable:flexible, spontaneous
    loud:enthusiastic
    argumentative:assertive
    stubborn:persistent
    nosy:curious
    wild:energetic
    extremely emotional:tenderhearted
    inflexible:traditional
    manipulative:charismatic
    impatient:compelling
    anxious:cautious
    explosive:dramatic
    picky:selective
    whiny:analytical
    distractible:perceptive

It's pretty hard (impossible!) to change your child's personality. But you can work to channel his natural tendencies toward their positive aspects.

Last edited by Cathy A; 03/16/08 02:05 PM.
    I'm not sure that I buy the flip side of whiny is analytical (!), but otherwise, I think this is a very nice list and an excellent point.

Thanks, Cathy! smile

Kriston
    S
    S
    Ann, to answer your original questions, what you describe sounds totally normal to me for a 2 y.o. Uh, lol, two of my kids have SPD, but even my fourth child, who at 21 months is very easy, "low maintenance" and happy, and has no hint of SPD, gets frustrated and starts calling out for mommy about a split second into any difficulty. And even he likes things done a certain way by me, and yes it can be tricky figuring out what that is.

I'm so busy with the others, and just plain lazy, that I often wait for the chorus of "mommy mommy" to get pretty darn loud before I go help out - and really only if I absolutely have to. Half the time he figures it out himself if he tries long enough. The other half of the time, well, either he moves on to something else, or one of his siblings helps, or he comes to get me (he puts his hand under my rear end as if to say, get off your fat ---, mom!). It's irritating when it happens every 5 seconds - those are the long days - like when he's trying to play with his older siblings' little legos and has difficulty taking them apart and putting them together. But generally I tend to think that a little frustration can be a good thing! So, my only piece of advice is to let your 2 y.o. experience that a little bit. Don't rush in to help too quickly. As for doing things a certain way to prevent meltdowns, I'd take that on a case by case basis - there are some things I'm willing to do (e.g. a very specific goodnight or goodbye routine, just so I can get out the door knowing they're not freaking out, because a good solid freak-out can last an hour or more; and if you do it wrong, like waving with the right hand instead of the left and without saying the correct words, you have to start over) but it's not great to let them have their way all the time even though that can make life easier - otherwise then you end up with my dd (long story! she's turning 7 y.o. shortly, and sometimes I still need to explain that I'm in charge of the house, and what I say goes, and I don't care if she didn't want me to move her stuffed animals off the rug so that I could vacuum - too bad; and if I want to wash her dirty laundry I'm going to do it whether she likes it or not; etc. etc.).
    smile

Originally Posted by Kriston
    I'm not sure that I buy the flip side of whiny is analytical

Yeah, I wondered about that one, too. Maybe people who complain a lot are analyzing what's wrong with a situation...?

Anyway, the book is very useful for parents of kids with OE's

Cathy

It's one I need to read. Maybe a trip to the library is in order before spring break. A couple of books have been recommended to be here that I've not yet gotten to.

But I don't think I see a positive take on whiny, I'm afraid. Whiny is just bad, all the way around. Rampant, unproductive emotionalism!!!

( wink to Dottie!)

Kriston
    Yes, Kriston, you need to read it. Trust me! They're not saying it's good for your kid to be whiny.

Oh no, I know. And for most traits I can see the positive way to view the trait. Stubborn vs. persistent is a really good example, I think.

I just can't see any way to view whiny besides whiny! There's no positive anything behind that attribute that I can think of. When only dogs can here you, you're not in a good place!

wink

Kriston
    M
    M
    LOL

I think you just explained my DS2!! He is so particular about the way things are done and he gets frustrated sooo easily when something will not work the way he wants it to. And if he is even the slightest bit tired or hungry, forget it, you can expect a full on laying on the floor cry session if something doesn't work properly. My mom tells me I was the same way as a child. He is also very strong willed. If he wants something, boy he will put up a good fight.

The list Cathy A. provided is great,I love the positive twist!! Good luck, and just know you are not alone!

quote from above "extremely emotional:tenderhearted"

Kriston and Dottie - Somehow "stop that rampant tenderheartedness" just doesn't have the same ring to it. wink

LMAO!!!

Damnable tenderhearts! All kind and nice and concerned about others and stuff. Ugh!

grin

You're right. It's just not the same.

Kriston
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM