Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    K
    K
    I guess we haven't officially publicly declared it, but I think it's pretty much a done deal. We've just been too busy to sit down and talk about it all the way through! We were just saying in passing yesterday that we have a parent teacher conference for DS during the day on Thursday of this week and we both agreed my DH shouldn't pull himself out of work for it. Both our expectations are basically at zero. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a report that DS's generally good and sunny behavoir is slipping. And I'm sure his report card will be "AS EXPECTED" across the board. crazy

J
    J
    No advice to offer, but wanted to say I've enjoyed this discussion. We are considering pulling our kids out of public school and homeschooling them next school year. I am still weighing the pros and cons so this was a timely thread for me.

Ann Offline
    Originally Posted by kimck
    And I'm sure his report card will be "AS EXPECTED" across the board. crazy

Do they really write "as expected" on report cards? Ditto crazy

Ann #11614 03/15/08 05:10 PM
    K
    K
    Yes - evidently all first graders at our school are expected to read at jr. high level and question the teacher on when square roots and negative numbers are coming. So it makes perfect sense to write "AS EXPECTED" on their report cards. crazy crazy crazy I'm just glad I'm able to volunteer in the classroom so I know where reality really sits. Our school likes to advertise that 40% of it's student body is GT. 5 kids out of 26 in DS's class are ahead of grade level in reading. And that's reading from 2nd grade level on up. No one is within 2 years of DS for reading level.

I haven't jumped on your thread Ann, but I'm thinking of you. Take care.

Ann Offline
    Originally Posted by kimck
    Yes - evidently all first graders at our school are expected to read at jr. high level and question the teacher on when square roots and negative numbers are coming. So it makes perfect sense to write "AS EXPECTED" on their report cards. crazy crazy crazy I'm just glad I'm able to volunteer in the classroom so I know where reality really sits. Our school likes to advertise that 40% of it's student body is GT. 5 kids out of 26 in DS's class are ahead of grade level in reading. And that's reading from 2nd grade level on up. No one is within 2 years of DS for reading level.

I haven't jumped on your thread Ann, but I'm thinking of you. Take care.

I don't know what to say. The "as expected" has me shaking my head in disbelief. Now that's whay I call not-so-helpful feedback. I'm also glad that you are able to get an honest assessment through your volunteer work. Sounds like the school is doing some sort of new math w/ their marketing. I'm glad you are going to be able to homeschool. I know you'll be GREAT at it! grin

No problem and thanks... I'd much rather read other threads than my own. I'm trying to snap myself out of the funk I'm in. {{{hugs}}}

Last edited by Ann; 03/15/08 07:11 PM. Reason: absentmindedness
    Ann #11619 03/15/08 08:28 PM
    acs Offline
    I have had people use something similar to "As Expected" on DS's report card. But typically the teacher explains that for her that means that DS is making progress appropriate to his innate abilities, not that he is typical for the kids in his grade. As expected means the teacher feels DS is not stagnating. But I think it is a good sign that my DS's teacher explain this to us!

acs #11620 03/15/08 09:01 PM
    Ann Offline
    Originally Posted by acs
    But I think it is a good sign that my DS's teacher explain this to us!
    I agree!

In Dec. I met w/ DS2's teachers to discuss his "performance assessment checklist." I'm not sure how they answered some of the questions let alone how they finished the assessments for the entire class. The checklist is 7 pages long. After our parent/teacher meeting I looked at the checklist again. It took me a long time to think of situations/examples to justify how I'd answer a question. And that was just one kid! I'll have to think of a nice non-confrontational way to ask them how they complete (honest) assessments of each child before our next meeting.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Jamie
    No advice to offer, but wanted to say I've enjoyed this discussion. We are considering pulling our kids out of public school and homeschooling them next school year. I am still weighing the pros and cons so this was a timely thread for me.

This discussion is timely for us also. Our daughter will start (a yet to be determined) high school next year. Our son�s school recently informed us that they wouldn�t know until next fall whether DS will be allowed to progress to ALG1 next year as it will depend on class scheduling rather than his apparent talent and interest in math.

I guess my advice would be to home-school now and save the private school tuition for when your children�s abilities surpass your expertise and ability to instruct them at a level of challenge.

acs #11639 03/16/08 05:57 AM
    K
    K
    That is a good sign acs that your teacher would take time to explain that and what it means for your son.

Our teacher last year at least wrote notes that would say - "well ahead of grade level". This teacher seems so overwhelmed. She also encourages parents to bring their children to their conference, which I'm not particularly fond of either. We didn't last time.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    If I can do anything to help you with the transition, kimck, please let me know. I understand what a big step it is, and heaven knows, I asked a lot of questions as I made the transition.

You know where to find me! smile

Kriston
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM