Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    sreedevi9, agen, Postini, Phaedenit, babyrazia
    10900 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
    Topic Options
    #115874 - 11/09/11 08:57 AM Re: Do these people even know what they're doing? [Re: Dude]
    doclori Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
    Austin, thanks for the newspaper article. We worry so much about accelerating, it's nice to see a success story!

#115875 - 11/09/11 08:57 AM Re: Do these people even know what they're doing? [Re: Dude]
    deacongirl Offline

Originally Posted By: Dude
    Originally Posted By: deacongirl
    I would get the Iowa Acceleration Manual and From Emotions to Advocacy.

I had actually planned to ask them if they'd evaluated her using the Iowa Acceleration Manual during the meeting (knowing the answer would be "No", but planting the idea of doing so), but I was ambushed when the principal dismissed the idea of acceleration out of hand.

Meanwhile, I was sitting there listening to them filling the bingo board of misunderstandings about the nature of gifted kids:

- "We have kids like her in every classroom."
    - "We can meet every child's individual needs through differentiation."
    - "It's important for her socially to stay with kids her own age."
    - "We know how children develop normally." (Guess what... she's not normal)

I passed on the executive summary of "A Nation Deceived," and the principal looked at it like I'd just handed her a used tissue.

I'll have to look at From Emotions to Advocacy, because what I'm doing right now is just the opposite. I kept my cool in the meeting, but the more I think about the result, the more angry I become.

Def. get the book. I can already imagine the great letters you will write! I think that just starting to document things the way Wright suggests puts the school on notice that you are serious. And that if one day it does end up before a judge, the stack of letters will show how reasonable you were and how ridiculous they were. Sometimes when they realize what you are doing they suddenly become more flexible.

#115876 - 11/09/11 08:58 AM Re: Do these people even know what they're doing? [Re: kickball]
    deacongirl Offline

Originally Posted By: kickball
    To answer your question, probably not.

Sorry.

Depending on your state, there may be state policies requiring individual districts to maintain full grade and subject acc policies. Now - that a district chooses to do nothing with them is a different battle. But I am first curious whether - your state supports your schools belief that they do not need to evaluate for full grade acc.

Now you write your district is implying who may have the final word - but on most such policies - there is a required appeal process. I'm horrid at the soft approach that builds for better long-term relationships but I just don't see this as over based purely on policy and how your district's board would like policy implemented to match.

You lost a battle - get an ice pack, a shield, and suit back up.

Today. Ice Cream. Tomorrow...

Yes, this totally! And that book will help you do this.

#115877 - 11/09/11 08:59 AM Re: Do these people even know what they're doing? [Re: deacongirl]
    JonLaw Offline

Loc: The Sub-Tropics
    And that if one day it does end up before a judge, the stack of letters will show how reasonable you were and how ridiculous they were. Sometimes when they realize what you are doing they suddenly become more flexible.

Meaning you sue them?

In that case, the most important thing is the name of the judge.

Edited by JonLaw (11/09/11 09:05 AM)
    Edit Reason: I'm being somewhat facetious here. When the sheer volume of evidence is large enough, the name of the judge is much less important.

#115879 - 11/09/11 09:51 AM Re: Do these people even know what they're doing? [Re: JonLaw]
    deacongirl Offline

Originally Posted By: JonLaw
    And that if one day it does end up before a judge, the stack of letters will show how reasonable you were and how ridiculous they were. Sometimes when they realize what you are doing they suddenly become more flexible.

Meaning you sue them?

In that case, the most important thing is the name of the judge.

Well, I am just sharing what Pete Wright has in his books and workshops--and since he argued and won a case before the Supreme Court I figure he knows what he is talking about1 And not actually sueing them--due process or something? My point is by doing what he suggests it is less likely to end up in front of a judge.

Edited to add: just saw your edit--and yes--that is the point--the sheer volume of evidence showing the parent did everything possible to get their child an appropriate education in a reasonable way becomes hard to find against.

Edited by deacongirl (11/09/11 09:52 AM)

#115881 - 11/09/11 09:56 AM Re: Do these people even know what they're doing? [Re: JonLaw]
    DeeDee Offline

Originally Posted By: JonLaw
    Meaning you sue them?

In most cases, if your paper trail is good enough, it doesn't make it to court. But it helps to be ready.

Yes, all thanks to Wrightslaw!

DeeDee

Edited by DeeDee (11/09/11 09:56 AM)

#115884 - 11/09/11 10:14 AM Re: Do these people even know what they're doing? [Re: Dude]
    kcab Offline

Loc: Sparta, apparently
    Since you're in Louisiana, you might want to look for threads where other posters have been successful in that state. I recall someone having quite a saga that IIRC involved bringing in state personnel....

Here it is, thankfully she updated not too long ago:
    Momma Bear - Success in advocacy

#115959 - 11/09/11 11:56 PM Re: Do these people even know what they're doing? [Re: doclori]
    jenner Offline

Originally Posted By: doclori
    Austin, thanks for the newspaper article. We worry so much about accelerating, it's nice to see a success story!

Doclori, this article may help:

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10651.aspx

#115982 - 11/10/11 07:56 AM Re: Do these people even know what they're doing? [Re: Dude]
    kickball Offline

A comment creates confusion... affordability and charter schools... Private schools cost money but charter schools are public, tuition free... is this not true in LA?

#115991 - 11/10/11 08:34 AM Re: Do these people even know what they're doing? [Re: kickball]
    Dude Offline

Originally Posted By: kickball
    A comment creates confusion... affordability and charter schools... Private schools cost money but charter schools are public, tuition free... is this not true in LA?

Sorry, I misused the word. It's not a charter, it's a private.

There are no charters in my area.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator, Mark D. 
    Recent Posts
    Open college classes to everyone
    by mithawk
    08:02 AM
    Flipped Classroom
    by aeh
    01/18/21 02:15 PM
    Counting to 10
    by aquinas