Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    T
    T
    I just wanted to say good luck... and the answer to your question IMO is " no, no they have NO idea what they are doing!" We have had our battles in this state...its a traditional, we do it the way we do it way of functioning and borderlines rediculous at times. You will need to be a very strong person to get adequate public schooling in this state. I'm very glad we only have to endure it for another year and a half!

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Earlier, I pointed out a number of misconceptions about the nature of giftedness that they brought up during the meeting. If you assume that they're all true, then their strategy makes perfect sense, and is the best fit for my daughter. ... Thus, it falls to us to provide a preponderance of evidence... and even that may not be enough, because if everyone was able to accept validated evidence that challenges their own preconceptions, there'd be no such thing as a truther or a moonie.

Yes, I agree with your skepticism. The same skepticism was why I suggested that you write a letter quoting the law.

True, you can try to convince them, and if you do so via email, you'll get more stuff in writing in the process.

But if you either skip the convincing altogether or write a letter after they haven't been convinced (or, really, after you have enough evidence to get them on legal points), you can get what your daughter needs through a route that may be more objective than trying to convince people who may have no interest in being convinced.

And in all honesty, it looks to me like you have presented a preponderance of solid evidence. If they're so willing to ignore it completely, why would they take more evidence seriously?

(Which leads me back to using the law to force them to do what they're legally supposed to do).

Last edited by Val; 11/10/11 01:31 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Dude Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, it looks like our next step will be the enlistment of a professional psychologist who deals with gifted issues... because our little angel's psychological health has deteriorated to the point where the simplest little everyday setbacks are making her want to hurt herself and wish herself dead. She literally cried over spilled milk yesterday afternoon, loud and long.

She was such a happy, well-adjusted kid when she was homeschooling.

Originally Posted by La Texican
    Transforming the Difficult Child Workbook
    an interactive guide to the nurtured heart approach.
    Those who are intense are often more sensitive. �But children who are more sensitive, more intense, and more needy are in a compromised position. �Just by way of experiencing their intensity, and the truth of how people respond to their actions, they can easily form the misguided impression that they are more interesting and celebrated by way of poor choices, and there is so much more relationships and energy flowing when things are going wrong than when things are going right. �Children need to feel strong on the inside so that they can discern the positive from the negative and make wise choices, even in the face of negative outside influences. �
    Originally Posted by .
    end quote
    This book has been waiting on my reading list. �Your last post made me mad at how anti-human people can be. �I support your decision to find therapist. �What kind are you thinking about. �I've been window shopping and so far I've noticed there's something called a positive psychology that doesn't just relieve suffering it adds happiness. �And I've noticed Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (which I also need to get my cousin's book to borrow because that's also on my reading list. )

Thanks Val for outlining the necessary advocacy process. � � �Paper trail. �Keep repeating it so I'll remember. �Thank you.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Dude Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    This book has been waiting on my reading list. �Your last post made me mad at how anti-human people can be. �I support your decision to find therapist. �What kind are you thinking about. �I've been window shopping and so far I've noticed there's something called a positive psychology that doesn't just relieve suffering it adds happiness. �And I've noticed Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (which I also need to get my cousin's book to borrow because that's also on my reading list. )

The answer to your question is, "I have no idea." At the moment we're just trying to find someone who specializes in gifted issues, and that search doesn't seem to be bearing much fruit.

I have a wealth of ignorance when it comes to psychology.

A
    A
    In my experience, CBT is a good fit for thinky people. It also has the advantage of empirical support.

I've had experience with a non-CBT therapist who specialized in a me-specific characteristic, and a CBT therapist who did not, and the second was enormously more effective than the first. So my anecdote is consistent with the data.

Doesn't anxiety get you more into psychiatric world than psychologist world?

And do child psychiatrists prescribe placebos?

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10252.aspx
    Well, here's this article, which suggests several good things like: insist the counselor have a session with the patents for every three sessions with the child. �A parent may need to teach a therapist about gifted children. � A therapist is hired help. ( "Finally, believe in yourself. You are the parent, and the one in charge of the family. Professionals are "hired help." Seeking counseling or therapy is not easy, particularly when you have an exceptional child, but the benefits are worth it.")

Look at the database link in the sidebar of this forum. �There's articles to read. �I don't think there's a yellow pages for local practitioners, but maybe there's one on hoagies. �Nope, hoagies just has a list of books.�
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/counseling.htm
    (personal pet peeve... There's a list of therapists to help identify gifted kids, where's the list to serve them?)
    Maybe SENG? Nope. �NAGC. �Nope. �Maybe someone's better at Google than I am.

From what I've read there are only five therapists in the whole country that specially treat the high end of the gifted spectrum. �I can't imagine there's many more around that specialize in treating gifted kids anyway. �I've read �that it's important to find a therapist that wants to learn about gifted issues and to adjust the therapy to your kid and be willing to take that information (about giftedness) �into account. �They don't have to know about giftedness. Just be willing to learn and take it into account. �But many posters have said if you can arrange to see a counselor that has experience with the gifted it's well worth the effort. �

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Val Offline
    If school is the problem, do you really need a therapist, or do you need to change the school situation?

Have you told the principal or her superior about what's happening to your daughter as a direct result of the school's policies? Sometimes a letter describing what's happened can help. They may not understand gifted kids, but they probably don't want to make a little child miserable.

That's a very good point too.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM