Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Wren #115681 11/07/11 09:32 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I understand the comments about finding a church that meets your faith and views, but as others understood about the cultural thing, I still have my FC dress that my mother designed and had made and DD is going to wear it. Since my mother passed when I was 16, this is a big deal for me, for tradition and memory of my mother, not because of Catholic doctrine. But she does have to pass the quizzes.

You would think they need people...

Thanks for all the comments. And I think we did it without offending anyone JonLaw.

Ren

Wren #115688 11/07/11 09:56 AM
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Anyone hear about that museum somewhere in the south where they have dioramas with dinosaurs and man, because they want it to link to Creation theory. a la Fred Flinstone.

Are you thinking of the Creation Museum in Kentucky?

http://creationmuseum.org/

Wren #115692 11/07/11 10:37 AM
    This book is on my Wish list on amazon. http://breauxclassroom.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/how_to_read_literature_like_a_professor2.doc
    Its outline shows how religious allegories permeate our thoughts.
    Another thought I had was to investigate what the Catholic Church is doing socially now, rather than researching its historical development. But I googled, and you'll have to find a different source besides the Internet. I was thinking about explaining whatever good social policies the church stands for. And explaining that common stories are a way to discuss deep universal ideas with each other. (see the link) Hey, subtext is scholarly, ain't it?!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    herenow #115693 11/07/11 10:47 AM
    S
    S
    But since DD watches Nova about space concepts and how long ago everything developed, it doesn't fit with this 7 day period God created everything. And hence the questions.

Originally Posted by herenow
    DD asks a lot of questions about religion, and I like to "keep 'em coming". For my child, these types of complicated questions are fuel for her brain - the brain that seeks out complexity and contradictions, and revels in some of the beauty found in religion.

Yes! I really enjoy the questions and then the challenge it is for ME to try and find a creative meaningful answer!! LOL
    For example, when my 2 yo really wondered what God looks like, does he have feet, how can he be all around all the time if I can't see him....etc. I found myself enjoying coming up with answered that helped him grasp the concept- so I told him how the air was around, we can breathe it, the wind blows and we can feel it, but it's not visible- and related that to God- satisfied him for a while- but I DO love their questions! smile

Wren #115694 11/07/11 10:49 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Yes, thanks. They state they have dinosaurs roaming around the Garden of Eden rivers, while Adam and Eve are nearby.

Wren #115695 11/07/11 10:52 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Digressing, since I mentioned DD watching Nova. Did anyone watch the Nova thing on space recently and there is a follow up on time. I remember we had a topic about all the big things have already been thought up already and really, haven't we just scraped the iceberg?

Wren #115697 11/07/11 10:58 AM
    Digressing, since I mentioned DD watching Nova. Did anyone watch the Nova thing on space recently and there is a follow up on time. I remember we had a topic about all the big things have already been thought up already and really, haven't we just scraped the iceberg?

You mean the show that talked about the fact that most of the universe is made up of dark matter and dark energy and we don't actually know what those things are?

We're always scraping the tip of the iceburg.

Wren #115699 11/07/11 11:11 AM
    A
    A
    This website is a great resource for comparative religion.

My son discovered Joseph Campbell's work and that really seemed to help him make sense of the whole question of religion.

Wren #115700 11/07/11 11:12 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Fabric of the Cosmos, it was on Nov 2nd. The second part is next week about Time. Both hosed by Brian Greene.

Originally Posted by Speechie
    Yes! I really enjoy the questions and then the challenge it is for ME to try and find a creative meaningful answer!! LOL
    For example, when my 2 yo really wondered what God looks like, does he have feet, how can he be all around all the time if I can't see him....etc. I found myself enjoying coming up with answered that helped him grasp the concept- so I told him how the air was around, we can breathe it, the wind blows and we can feel it, but it's not visible- and related that to God- satisfied him for a while- but I DO love their questions! smile

When I was a child, a really old lady (who lived another 30 years, so why I remember her as really old, I don't know :)) asked us how we knew we had a toothache - because you can feel the pain - how do other people know you have a toothache - they can't see it or feel it - they have to believe or take it on faith - just like you have to do with God.

It stayed with me - and as now a person of science - its still there, how do we know what we know to be true.

DS 5.5 is also super sciency, have the most recent NOVA with Brian Greene taped, we're very excited to watch it - he interestingly does not yet question the discontinuities between religions and science. But he is not in school for that yet - we punted, not sure how hard the gifted K would be in terms of doing after school. So he is more attentive to the more public aspects - how many religions are there, what are the differences, why are they different

Then again, he knows all about DNA and genetics - but has no idea how that sperm and egg meet - we started with him at 2 with a bit of mommy and a bit of daddy - and he asks tons of questions about the uterus and everything - so fascinatingly detailed - but never asked how it got in there so we never told him. I was doing the whole, answer the questions he asks, approach and he asks a ton of q's about everything and we always answer them LOL but in that area he did not ask for specificity. And when I accidentally revealed that Cyberchase is not a real place (hysterical panicked thread here somewhere) - he actually rejected the cognitive dissonance until he could handle it.

I agree, I love the interesting q's - when DS was younger, that was one of the things that really stood out for me, the questions the moms at pre-k got versus the ones I got!

DeHe

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM