Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Also, I wouldn't diminish it by calling it partially gifted. My take is that a person is gifted (period), perhaps in one area, perhaps in more than one. :-)

Loving, overly-worried mom to "Size Small" Card, a beautiful little boy who joined us in July 2009.
    Q
    Q
    I wouldn't call it partially gifted, but rather verbally gifted, etc. It actually is common to have academic strengths and relative weaknesses. DD8 is very strong on the verbal side (reading/writing) and artistically, but clearly not gifted in math. However, she is bright enough and elementary math is basic enough that she has no problems aceing 4th grade math in her 3rd grade GT class. The difference between her and her siblings is that she actually has to be taught and benefits from modeling by the teacher and practice.

M
    M
    Gifted is gifted. Gifted can mean universally gifted, but it can also mean gifted in some specific areas.

That said- to the OP - your child is young yet. My daughter was not interested in math at that age and did not display any particularly strong mathematical abilities.

Now she is 11 and they are starting to learn some algebra at school. She is spreading her mathematical wings, as it were. She will never be evenly balanced with math and words - but the difference is a bit less obvious as she gets more post-arithmetic exposure.

I used to wonder if she was only gifted in reading, but now I know she is PG in reading and only gifted in math.

Asynchronous development. I love the term. So much more meaningful than "gifted" at times.

Mary
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM