Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #115251 11/01/11 08:15 AM
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm curious, for those of you who had children in a traditional early elementary school setting (no specialized programs or IEPs) did you have to deal with behavior problems with your child? And if so, what kinds (and what ages were they)?

~amy
    C
    C
    Yup, DS7 had a lot of issues with authority when he wasn't being stimulated .. he doesn't have many of those now since he has gotten older.

As their emotional and chronological age starts catching up slowly to their intellectual "age", the dissonance between the ages gets smaller and the frustration tolerance is not so easily reached.

DS9 - Starting 9th grade
    DS7 - Starting 5th grade
    C
    C
    Yes. Classic emotional OE stuff, peaking in DS's second year at school (age 6 mostly). Ah yes, here is the thread I made about it at the time.

I'm happy to say that he's much, much better now, at just-8. He can still get over-worried about things, but he can deal with his worry in expected ways, and is considered a model pupil by his current teachers. Touch wood!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    For us 1st/2nd grade were the worst... DD was very emotional, intolerant of classmates, etc. She is young for her grade, so she would have been 6/7ish at the time that behavior issues were at their peak. 3rd grade was better, 4th grade has been even better (only one behavior issue so far... and it's November!)

P
    P
    I just typed out a long reply and thought I hit submit but it disappeared into the ether (I think!). I don't have time to retype it but here's the condensed version - I have three children, two of which had behavior challenges in early elementary (K-2). The one that didn't have behavioral challenges is moderately gifted, tests even across the board in everything and has not a worry in the world. My oldest ds is the kind of kid who once he started talking it was clear he was something else in terms of intelligence, and my youngest dd hasn't been tested yet but we (and everyone else in her life, including her teachers) suspect she's at least highly gifted. My ds fell apart in early elementary, was suspected of having ADHD, but we ultimately learned through neuropscyh testing that he has a disability which was at the root of his behaviors. Once we understood what was causing the behaviors we were able to make accommodations and put together a learning plan that addressed both his strengths and his challenges and the behavior issues disappeared. My youngest dd is also suspected of having a learning disability and we're in the process of trying to understand what's up via testing. In spite of that, she's still an extremely high-achieving kid.

So - I don't want to worry you that your ds might have an LD - chances are he doesn't and he's just exhibiting behaviors that are due to not being challenged etc. - but I also wanted to mention it because LDs in gifted kids are sometimes masked by behavior challenges that are related to the child's having to cope with an undiagnosed LD, and seeing an LD in a gifted child can be complicated.

Best wishes,

polarbear

not in preschool, if that's what you mean...

but yes...pretty much from the beginning of kinder. It wasn't even holiday break before the teacher is calling or talking to me...DD crumpled her paper and cried that it wasn't good enough after the teacher complimented her seahorse drawing...DD is reading behind other texts...DD used a WHOLE TUBE of chapstick on her ENTIRE FACE. Or you mean more like that time they called me from school to say my DD had told other kids that if you mixed things from under the sink, they would make a poison that could kill people? (She didn't say you SHOULD!) By the end of the year, the teacher was getting her books from the 2nd grade classroom and she had racked up more "So Sad" notices than any other girl and only 2 boys (who later got IEPs) had more *sigh*

It has been an uphill battle since DAY ONE and even though she tested "gifted" last year, they CONTINUE to REFUSE to consider that her behavior may be a result of understimulation or a LD. They refused us LD testing based on her stellar standarzied test scores...This year's (NOW FORMER) teacher chastized me for not punishing her MORE SEVERLY at home after a "red card day" and that was just the last straw for me! Now we are having an evaluation (IQ, Acheivment testing, IOWA acceleration), playing hookey and "school shopping"...

Problems for my DD, starting at 5 and continuing through now, age 8 are generally non-compliance, refusing to do work that does not interest her, reading under her desk when it's time to do other things...occasionally (about once a year) she has gotten physical with another kid, again, usually in reaction to something..often it's because they bumped her first in line or got in her "personal space", which she defends like the Great Wall of China. She mostly does not do things like get up and touch or otherwise bother other students, fight, etc...She doesn't swear, threaten or bully, throw tantrums or act out in a "showy" manner. Too embaressing for her!
    They also like to use words like oppositional (like they can diagnose or something), defiant, anxious or depressed...emotionally charged words that really do not belong in the conversation...

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks guys, I was just curious. I think perhaps being bored/frustrated is a problem for him, but I'm really starting to accept that he's got something else going on as well (ADHD/obsessive behaviors.) The way he responds to the mere possibility of not finishing his work, is so completely over the top it blows me away sometimes. We are starting him on Concerta to see if that helps with his impulsiveness and he's already started on Trileptal to help with the outbursts and tantrums. He's going to start seeing a counselor as well on a regular basis, he liked her (she did the ADHD computer-based testing on him) and I'm hoping she can help him to learn how to keep himself calm and not just go zero to a hundred with these freak-outs he has.

~amy
    D
    D
    Epoh, if you think something else is going on, I'd recommend a complete neuropsych workup so you know exactly what that something is. (ADHD+anxious freakouts can be Asperger's, BTW, though it can be other things too.)

(Getting a full workup has the side effect of giving you a really solid picture of strengths as well as weaknesses, as well as having good evidence to give to school to get an IEP in place. We have used the neuropsych report to help get proper math placement, for instance.)

I also recommend finding the most expert prescriber you can. I would not let our (otherwise very good) pediatrician manage meds for ADHD or other developmental disabilities-- we see a developmental pediatrician who's seen lots and lots of kids with related disorders, and has a much better read on fine-tuning meds to get good results.

DeeDee

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We've been seeing a pediatric psychiatrist and a counselor/diagnostician. We did a ton of paperwork, background info, observations from his teacher and so on and so forth, and Asperger's hasn't been raised as a possibility once. I am planning on sitting down this weekend and filling out all the paperwork to get him on the list for the Child Study Center here in Fort Worth. The place is supposed to be the best for diagnosis and evaluation.

~amy
    D
    D
    Sounds like a good plan. I like having the most information possible...

DeeDee

A
    A
    Originally Posted by epoh
    We've been seeing a pediatric psychiatrist and a counselor/diagnostician. We did a ton of paperwork, background info, observations from his teacher and so on and so forth, and Asperger's hasn't been raised as a possibility once. I am planning on sitting down this weekend and filling out all the paperwork to get him on the list for the Child Study Center here in Fort Worth. The place is supposed to be the best for diagnosis and evaluation.

Make sure that they are familiar with the information in this book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM