Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    laugh LOL! I'm just glad I could help with advice that feels wrong! wink

Cathy

LOL! I know. I hope I don't make you feel bad by saying that. It was really pivotal advice you offered! I don't think I'd done a "gut-check," and your post prompted one.

Maybe not what you intended, but wicked helpful anyway! wink

Kriston
    I don't feel bad. I'm just glad you got things figured out.

Cathy

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Good. I was worried you'd think I was blowing you off, but I wasn't. It really made me think! smile

Kriston
    Excellent Kriston!
    I'm glad to hear that you will try homeschooling next year. Funny - OHG's 'guilt' quote hit home with me, but I didn't want it to look like we were ganging up on you. It wasn't a 'yeah, that sounds like Kriston' moment, it was a 'yeah, I'd be doing that if I were in Kriston's situation' moment anyway.

Seems to me that holding off on that school for later when your DS really needs it makes plenty of sense. And having babysitters be the playdate supervisors makes perfect sense. Also, I'll bet that by the middle of next year you will be close enought that at least some of the playdates are 'dump and run' style.

I'm suprised that you couldn't put into words what 'felt wrong' about trying the school and using homeschooling as a back up - don't you remember what it was like to
    a) have a crisis on your hands and have to emergency homeschool
    and
    b) trying to monitor if the situation is 'normal settling in pains' or 'the begining of a really bad end story.' UG! it's like the meta-relationship were you are about to break up with your boyfriend, and spend all your time together talking about 'the relationship.' Ug!

Enjoy Homeschool year 2!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Yea Kriston! I'm glad you've found what feels right to you. smile

I'm loving the book kcab recommended that talks about not trying to be equal or fair to our kids but to give each kid what they need when they need it. And I think that is exactly what you are doing. And fantastic about the babysitter situation. Now you'll have time to work on your book when you want to!!!

Definitely enjoy home school year 2!

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Funny - OHG's 'guilt' quote hit home with me, but I didn't want it to look like we were ganging up on you. It wasn't a 'yeah, that sounds like Kriston' moment, it was a 'yeah, I'd be doing that if I were in Kriston's situation' moment anyway.

LOL! It does sound like me though. I mean, I DID put up a whole thread about that very subject essentially. Could I BE any more obvious!?! Duh! Really good catch, OHG!

I'm suprised that you couldn't put into words what 'felt wrong' about trying the school and using homeschooling as a back up - don't you remember what it was like to
    a) have a crisis on your hands and have to emergency homeschool
    and
    b) trying to monitor if the situation is 'normal settling in pains' or 'the begining of a really bad end story.' UG! it's like the meta-relationship were you are about to break up with your boyfriend, and spend all your time together talking about 'the relationship.' Ug!

LMAO! You're so right! I can't really deal with that again.

D'ya know, when I requested that the teacher return DS6's school stuff to us, she said she hadn't taken down a drawing he made because she was "hoping for some closure."

A friend of mine heard this and joked, "OMG! You broke up with your son's teacher! I didn't even know you two were dating!"

I laughed and laughed and laughed!!!! Closure? Really? Ugh!!!

Kriston
    Rememrber my DS11's 'bottom' in 2nd grade? Towards the very end of the year, I was doing a little 'relationship building' listen to her complain about DS's behavior in class, and the thought that flashed through my mind was,

"sure, she sounds bitter now, but a few months after the Divorce she'll regain her perspective."

At the same time I realized that what my mind was trying to say was: "sure she sounds bitter now, but a few months after the school year, when she doesn't have to deal with DS every day, she will remember his good qualities and regain her perspective."

But she did sound just like a few friends who were going through that last sprint before they could get their divorces off of their minds! In 2nd grade! And I was convinsed that she cared deeply about him, but just couldn't overcome her preconceptions that a kid who was bright would act a particular way. She was an 'old school' lady, who thought that the idea of 'asynchrony' was just coddling. I'm giggling about that now.

One thing about reality is that you can really hurt yourself by denying it!

The unfunny thing is what it cosst my DS to spend an entire school year in a classroom with a teacher who was constantly dissapointed in him, and was open enough that the classmates followed suit, and he came to believe her as well. How deeply this still affects him is hard to know - but whenever I hear about you, Kriston, actually taking action to get your son OUT of his bad situation, I tear up to be SO glad that someone had more sense than I did! And that in some small way I've been able to help both with direct advice, and by helping build this cyberplace where you can speak your mind. I went through 2nd grade with no idea what was going on, no YSP, no friends with PG kids, no family with more than MG experience, and none of you!

Of couse it hasn't escaped my notice that although 2nd grade was terribly hard on him and came at a great cost, who knows but perhaps in the furture it will turn out to have been very important for my DS. Still I wouldn't wish in on Cathy A's letterwriter!

Big proud smile,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    Excellent Kriston! I bet it's a load off your mind not to think about it anymore and to be able to start planning. You're all ready so much better off by not being in an emergency situation and able to plan it out. Congratulations. It's good to know you'll still be a full time homeschooling resource! When you're not writing of course. smile

We are a step closer to homeschooling at our house. We decided NOT to reapply to our GT magnet for next fall (deadline was last week). Too many mixed reviews for HG+ kids out of there.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    One thing about reality is that you can really hurt yourself by denying it!

The unfunny thing is what it cosst my DS to spend an entire school year in a classroom with a teacher who was constantly dissapointed in him, and was open enough that the classmates followed suit, and he came to believe her as well. How deeply this still affects him is hard to know - but whenever I hear about you, Kriston, actually taking action to get your son OUT of his bad situation, I tear up to be SO glad that someone had more sense than I did! And that in some small way I've been able to help both with direct advice, and by helping build this cyberplace where you can speak your mind. I went through 2nd grade with no idea what was going on, no YSP, no friends with PG kids, no family with more than MG experience, and none of you!

I wish we had been there for you, Grinity! The strength and wisdom you had to get through it alone just amaze me. I don't know what I would have done. And for you to share with the rest of us so we don't have to go it alone is just so wonderful!

What makes me tear up is thinking about the community that we have here. I rely on it so much! I appreciate the sharing of experiences by those who have BTDT, and I can't imagine what I'd do without it.

I will say, however, that I don't think my taking DS6 out of a bad situation has to do with my having "more sense." I think I just have less patience and a lesser capacity to deal with people constructively than you do. Not necessarily good character traits most of the time, but it worked out okay for us in this instance. wink I just don't have any patience for GT deny-ers: those teachers and administrators who simply cannot/will not recognize the existence of GT kids. My child exists, and if you cannot see him for what he is, then you don't need to be responsible for his education.

More than a little anti-social, but I think I'm okay with that!

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by kimck
    We are a step closer to homeschooling at our house. We decided NOT to reapply to our GT magnet for next fall (deadline was last week). Too many mixed reviews for HG+ kids out of there.

Do tell? So does that mean HSing is official or is there some other option you may go with?

Kriston
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM