Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    F
    F
    EJ (6-kinder) asked his teacher for harder math work. He told her it was way too easy!

L
    L
    My 13-year-old son who has SPD and used to be distracted by clothing tags has worked up to wearing a painful scoliosis brace 14 hours a day and it has not stopped him from learning. He has a better attitude about this than I ever though possible for a kid with sensory issues. His intelligence and ability to research his options concerning the medical issues have helped him come to terms with the difficult physical challenges while he is in the brace. He has had to deal with a lot of pain and setbacks for the last few years and is not able to go out and enjoy doing things that most kids his age can do for at least the next few years. It threatens to take away his ability to do the one thing that he enjoyed doing in our small town--musical theater. But he is able to see that it could be much worse. He enjoys being able to learn as much as he wants to learn via the internet.

F
    F
    We are getting somewhere!! DS is now receiving a daily math pull out! he calls it "hallway math". This came from the gifted teacher (gifted services start in second grade and ds is in kinder).

Good morning!
    I just wanted to touch base about the enrichment activities or work that will be provided for ds. I took ds's current RIT scores from his MAP tests and found the skills and concepts to develop and introduce to bring him to the next level. We will work on one goal strand at a time. I am starting with number sense and providing concepts and activities that deal with place value up 100,000, expanded and standard forms, fractional sets of a whole, etc. I hope that this will help ds obtain more success in math. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

C A
    GERT

DS 5 received a "you did great research. Your handwriting is wonderful" on last weeks homework assignment. The assignment was accomplished with only a bit of sighing, resisting and stalling. He slightly resembled a pufferfish after reading her comments, the most complementary of his handwriting ever, he was so proud. And we lavished him with how proud we are of how hard he is working at it. Quite a moment.

Irony: got the comment right after filling out the paperwork to have him evaluated for OT!

DeHe

S
    S
    I don't really know where to put this, but I feel like finally being on the same page with DH about DS2 is a small victory for our family. DH just had his "our son sure was/is different" aha! moment this week. We were hanging out with another family with a young child the other day and later DH told me, "That was more what I imagined when I thought of having kids. I expected it to be more like that."

It's as if we bought tickets for the merry-go-round but ended up on an endless roller coaster instead. DH had his eyes closed and was trying to convince himself that we were actually on the merry-go-round even though it didn't feel like it. It's nice for him to finally realize that we are on a different ride all together.

Somerdai - I know what you mean. I feel like my DH is finally coming around as well.

~amy
    At our IEP meeting this year the school agreed to allow DS12 move ahead in Math and Science placements for next year. After our meeting, they started backing down from the Science placement. I believe some of it had to due with the High School guidance counselor. She clearly was not on board with any of our plans despite some of them already being approved by the principal. She kept going on and on about his age, what was the hurry, it's never been done before, this is the class for our top students, on and on …yada yada ya. She suggested DS could skip 8th grade Science if he took Biology in 8th grade but then would have to repeat it in 9th to get the Honors track. WHAT??? In her infinite wisdom, she decided to take DH and I down to the office of the head of the Science Dept. Her plan was to have the Dept. Head to "explain" to us "the moronic parents" why DS12 could not be in Honors Biology as 8th grader. The Head of the Science Dept. took one look at his ACT scores and said,"if he can test out of it I have no problem with it."

He took the test yesterday. He out scored the 8th and 9th graders trying to get into Honors Biology!!! HA! We definitively have Honors Biology and Honors Algebra 2 next year!!! laugh

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    DD8's excellent public school teacher became so attached to her gifted/high achieving 3rd grade class that when the 4th grade gifted teacher DD was supposed to have announced his retirement, DD's teacher stepped up to the plate and asked to teach the 4th grade class. So in 4th grade DD gets the same great friends in class, and the same great teacher...

I doubt my e-mail to the principal had much influence, but it sure feels nice to be in a school where the principal and some of the teachers 'get it'.

Update: Sigh...found out yesterday that the district doesn't allow a teacher to teach the same students three years in a row, so DD is going to end up with a different 4th grade teacher with apparently no gifted teaching credentials. Here we go again...

Last edited by Pru; 06/15/12 09:01 AM.
    L
    L
    Jtooit

It is so great to hear this! I understand so well how frustrating it can be with constantly advocating for your child to be challeneged and having teachers, and admin not objective or open to things. So glad to hear the teacher spoke up and gave it a shot!!

DS9 Gifted / ADHD
    WooHOO!!! After nearly ten (yes, ten, count them... ten) weeks of waiting, we are the proud possessors of a Letter of Approval for Accommodations from the College Board!!

DD will be able to take breaks as needed with the clock stopped (which means that she'll be tested with just her in a room with a proctor!!) and she's got official authorization to keep medications with her at all times. (WHew!!!)

Hurray!

My DD can take the PSAT in the fall and hopefully make it really count!! smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM