Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by bbq797
    I called him yesterday to discuss the situation and I had a very awkward conversation w/his wife who informed me that he passed away last month. : ( (he was in I'd say about his 70's, 80's around there)

Sooo....if we were to have further testing, I would now have to find someone else who, as you say, has experience w/gifted kids.

Oh, we found him by calling the gifted school in our area--they recommend psychologists for testing (to meet their entrance criteria). Unfortunately, that school runs about $15,000/yr in tuition; so, that's not an option.

I'd be curious to hear what you decide to do next. I will take a look at the article again -- thanks

Lots to digest here.

First, was the Psych part of a practice and can you get transferred to a new one?

Second, I am not sure where you live, but the Tier 1 privates in my area have a tuition assistance program that supports lower income families so exceptional kids can attend a school that meets their needs. A number get almost a 100% ride. I'd get a list of all the privates in your area, find the ones with the highest number of national merit finalists, and apply. I think once they see the tests that you have, the doors will open. You might be able to get in now or after the winter break and start with a skip to 1st or 2nd. I've seen it happen here.

Next, if the above has not worked out - and it might not - given that this school has not done an acceleration, you may be better off finding a school that has. I'd contact the new psych and ask him or her about the schools in the area and who might be able to help.

Another option is to move into a district that has a good public program. A number will tell you if your child will meet the cutoff and then you can move in with the assurance that his needs will be met.

II think the best analogy I have heard on this situation is akin to a fishing boat. The crew is fishing for herring and one day they get a king salmon. They just throw the salmon back or let it die on the deck because they are in the business of catching herring. That is most public schools.

Last edited by Austin; 10/28/11 12:13 PM.
    B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Austin
    II think the best analogy I have heard on this situation is akin to a fishing boat. The crew is fishing for herring and one day they get a king salmon. They just throw the salmon back or let it die on the deck because they are in the business of catching herring. That is most public schools.

That's great! I don't think I've ever heard that one before (and it's so true)

Actually, we had the meeting today, and they seemed surprisingly reasonable. They said they're not against grade skipping or acceleration, but they are concerned about his social skills. At times he seems to have no boundaries, he pokes kids to get attention, knocks down blocks, etc. The psychologist said he saw him in the hallway today in the hallway making circles w/his finger in the air. He asked him what he was doing, and he said "making the sign for infinity". bla, bla, bla,

Sooo...they suggested the psychologist and other staff in school do some real thorough academic testing to see where he's at/what he needs. They also suggested that he have a psych eval done by a psychiatrist -- just talk to him and observe his behavior, to get a take on what's going on socially/emotionally. Sounds reasonable, just as long as the Psychiatrist is familiar w/gifted kids etc. so whatever behaviors he's observing aren't misinterpreted.

C
    C
    My PG son went through this @ K. We went with a traditional secular all-day Kindergarten. We informed the teacher of his abilities ( 4 years old could do multi/divis/fractions and reading early-chapter book ( Magic School Bus/Tree House, etc ..)).

We provided her with materials he could do if he was bored and needed to be separated from the other children so he would not be a distraction.

It didn't work out, the teacher really wanted to mold our boy into something he wasn't and it bit her in the butt as he made sure he would make every child miserable until she focused on them and left him alone.

Lots of calls to the office with the final days being told hewas not welcome there any more.

*shrug*

We decided then that acceleration was the only choice for him. We found a Montessori school that was very accepting and allowed our son to go as fast as he wanted, provided he did all the work required like other children in his grade and that his scores were high.

He is 7 now and in 7th grade and the behavior issues have mostly disappeared now that he is challenged all through the day, leaving no time for him to bet bored and into trouble.

DS9 - Starting 9th grade
    DS7 - Starting 5th grade
    L
    L
    He sounds like a five-year-old boy who needs to be more challenged. DC20, PG, 2E, and ADHD, had a lot worse behavior than that when he was younger. It was always better when he was challenged and with other students like him.

I accelerated quite a bit, and it helped me focus during school, rather than act out. I did run into a lot of barriers, but it's easier these days to accelerate through distance learning and talent search programs. Would it be an option to have him grade skipped and starting a distance learning program for math? He could stay with friends and still be challenged without running into building limits in curriculum at a school.

B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    @Cawdor--we actually did try a Montessori school, but they said he wasn't the right fit for them--he was too "exuberant" as I recall them saying : ( It is comforting however, to hear that your son's behavior issues have gotten better!

@LilMick--Funny, my uncle accelerated a couple of grades when he was younger and said it was a horrible experience and he wouldn't wish it on anyone. I guess I have that in the back of my mind. One grade skip and distance learning might be an idea--I would have to explore that a bit further, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM