The self-advocacy video was a good lesson in maturity and how to instill maturity into the kiddos. �Every early discipline book I'm reading agrees that offering options to have a little control in deciding their daily life cuts discipline problems in half. �(paraphrased, no source). �

A great point taken from the video was that because one teacher says "no" does not mean the next one will." �I believe addressing this will also address perfectionist all or nothing thinking. �Hey, it even illustrates Carol Dweck's incremental theory to the kiddos involved. �You don't just ask once "teach me right, please," and it's done. �You think about what you need and you ask for it. �You monitor your growth and progress. �

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....NEW_Davidson_Discussions.html#Post115064

It gave me something to think about. �I assumed by helping my kiddo learn how to learn then he could learn whatever he wants if he had the prerequisite knowledge. �Now I have to teach him to also think about how he's learning and also how he's using what he's learned so that he can convince somebody to teach him later. �
Cute story. �I tried to ask the principal for early admission to pre-k this year. �I told him we were going to talk to the lady to see if he could start school this year. �When I parked in front of the school he told me, "Mom, you stay out here and read the sign while I go in and talk to the lady. I'll be back." I guess I should have let him, lol. �P

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar