Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    That's nice to hear, because I think it will seem odd to many of the people in my HS group. They're all very nice and seem quite nonjudgemental, but they do seem to have a momentary <blink> when I say that we have to leave some event to take DS3 to preschool.

Today I went to my first get together for new/may be hs. I too got the look when I said that DS3 would be in the preschool next year. Fortunately there was somebody else who will be putting their younger one in preschool and hs the older one.

LMom
    I just realized that I forgot to say thanks, Texas Summer, for the note about HSing one kid and not the other seems to be pretty normal in your PG group. That's nice to hear, because I think it will seem odd to many of the people in my HS group. They're all very nice and seem quite nonjudgemental, but they do seem to have a momentary <blink> when I say that we have to leave some event to take DS3 to preschool. If preschool makes 'em blink, what will they think about DS3 going to public school?

*sigh*

It's nice to know that my considering it isn't as weird or random as it might seem on its face...

Kriston, I know quite a few HS families. Those I know do it as more of a lifestyle choice. You (IMO) are doing it as an educational choice. I think you'll make the right educational choice when needed. You've already show that you are flexible and not afraid to change quickly for the benefit of the child.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, OHG. You're right that our plan, certainly, is for DH and I to respond to the individual needs of our kids. If I can just figure out what those needs are and persuade the kids that this is what we're doing...

I think your observation about HSing is 100% accurate though: HSing as a lifestyle choice is different than what we're doing.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. smile

Kriston
    kcab - I got Siblings without Rivalry from the library today and have only read a few pages but I can tell I like it already! The first few pages go into what I've been going through (my kids fighting way too much) and it's nice to feel like I'm not the only one - which I knew I wasn't, but you know what I mean. Thanks for the recommendation!

Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    I just realized that I forgot to say thanks, Texas Summer, for the note about HSing one kid and not the other seems to be pretty normal in your PG group. That's nice to hear, because I think it will seem odd to many of the people in my HS group. They're all very nice and seem quite nonjudgemental, but they do seem to have a momentary <blink> when I say that we have to leave some event to take DS3 to preschool. If preschool makes 'em blink, what will they think about DS3 going to public school?

*sigh*

It's nice to know that my considering it isn't as weird or random as it might seem on its face...

Kriston, I know quite a few HS families. Those I know do it as more of a lifestyle choice. You (IMO) are doing it as an educational choice. I think you'll make the right educational choice when needed. You've already show that you are flexible and not afraid to change quickly for the benefit of the child.

DD9 will most likely be homeschooled next year, which is purely an educational necessity. DS3 OTOH, will go to preschool next year and we will take it year by year with him. Due to some birthing issues, he has some speech delays and I don't see the same GT traits in him. But he has his own talents, which are now emerging, so who knows. I think it will be strange to HS one and not the other, but that's how it will be with us for a while.

I understand those who HS out of religious or other reasons, but I sometimes wonder what those families do if one the kids would thrive better in a school? I know a family of 8 that HS and I would say that 2 of the children truly do not want to HS. They are going through teenage phase and refuse to complete assignments out of rebellion. The mom is beside herself as she fears they will not complete high school.

I look at both my children as individuals and we make individual choices for them as long as it doesn't disturb our family harmony.

Jen

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM