Hello, all. I know I'm relatively new here and I don't post as much as I should, but I'm still hoping you'll be willing to share your expertise/experience on this topic with me.

I have a 10-year-old PG son. He's in 5th grade at a K-8 magnet school here in Huntsville. The principal of the school is AMAZING and really willing to work with us to find things for Will that are intellectually appropriate (and is advocating a grade skip for him, as well -- she is just really open-minded and wonderful). His teacher is really open to working with us, as well, but she really doesn't know much about PG kids. She says she's never had a student like him, and she just doesn't really understand what he needs sometimes.

We had a long conference today (I was thinking about pulling him and homeschooling him, but I didn't tell her that) and she mentioned she's been doing some online research looking for things that would work for him that he might be able to do in the classroom, because she knows it's not fair to him for him to not get anything out of school. (For a teacher who admittedly doesn't know much about the gifted, I am encouraged by her perspective! I told her I'd bring her some resources and she was open to that...so yay, that's progress!) She's thinking correspondence or online classes might be a good option, but I don't really know where to look!

So that was a long wind-up, I know. But what I really am hoping is that some of you can offer me ideas about online classes that he might be able to take during the school day that would substitute for classes that are really not appropriate for him. (He is accelerated into a 7th grade math class, so we have that covered.) Honestly, science, language arts/reading and social studies are all utterly mind-numbing for him right now. I'm excited his teacher seems so willing to try to accomodate him, and I am hoping we can work something out where he can at least finish up the school year without him going nuts with frustration over boredom and busywork.

Thanks,
Alyson