Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    Yes. We did Open Enrollment (which doesn't require anything beyond ability to pay) . . .

Is there a difference between open enrollment and regular EPGY with regard to the boring man?

A
    A
    I think the only difference is that open enrollment doesn't give you an individual mentor on the EPGY end, but I'm not 100% sure.

S
    S
    Hmmmmm... I hadn't realized that open enrollement was an option. Sounds simpler (and way cheaper!) than the "real" thing.

Is the program adaptive -- starts with an assessment and then speeds up/slows down depending on pattern of errors -- or linear? How much repetition do you have to slog through? Can the boring man wink be turned off to switch to a non-audio lecture?

(while my son currently prefers spoken instructions classes that require slogging through oh-so-slow audio/video components while the same info could be conveyed in 3 paragraphs of text drive *me* nuts!)

F
    F
    I "think" the regular epgy is also accelerated. I am not sure about open enrollment.

D
    D
    hee hee . . .

I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate the nickname we've given him in this thread.

A
    A
    It's adaptive, but I think the regular EPGY requires less repetition before a given topic is considered mastered. For us, having me listen to the lecture then explain briefly worked. But I don't believe it's intended to be done that way.

I personally didn't dislike the lecture component - and DD was filling in holes, so the material was really lower-level than I'd have otherwise started her.

S
    S
    OK, all knowledge is contained in this forum. Poor "boring man" has a name: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/75752/Re_EPGY_OHS.html

The needs/likes of undergrads are probably not the same as that of elementary school kids, however gifted laugh.

D
    D
    Too bad the people who produce NatGeo/Science Channel shows like "Naked Science" can't produce a math series. DS would eat that up!

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Here's a quote from that thread:

Originally Posted by knute974
    We haven't done the high school but my kids did try the math program through their school. My kids (DD8 and DD10) both hated the program for what I will call aesthetic reasons. The program was not visually interesting and the man who lectured had a dry, droning voice. You might ask if you could see a sample before you sign up.

EPGY sent me a sample of the geometry course materials. Aesthetics are definitely lacking. The course materials were LaTeXed/TeXed (so, all black and white).

Now, I wrote my M.Sc. and Ph.D. theses with LaTex and know how powerful it is and how far ahead of its time it was. But for me, LaTex isn't a good choice for course materials. Color is generally a superior way to highlight important points and is definitely better for diagrams. Actually, I livened up my thesis by including colored graphs. I just left big blank spaces on my LaTexed pages and then ran them through the color printer to add the graphs. I also glued color photos into the thesis.

Re: the boring man. I think that part of the Khan Academy's popularity stems from the guy's voice and the way he speaks. He has a nice voice and he changes his tone when he lectures, which makes him easier to follow.

Originally Posted by Val
    Re: the boring man. I think that part of the Khan Academy's popularity stems from the guy's voice and the way he speaks. He has a nice voice and he changes his tone when he lectures, which makes him easier to follow.

LOL

I cannot recall any of my math profs or upper level/grad classes being boring. In fact, they were the funnest classes and teachers I had. Only a couple of profs in the history and Greek departments even came close.

In some of the classes we'd get to arguing over a particular problem and it would go on for the whole class. Heaven help you if you got picked to do a problem and were not prepared. You got to really see how visual vs sequential learners dealt with different classes of problems.

One of the things I took from math to other courses was the need to completely memorize certain things.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM