Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
    C
    C
    My kindergartner is reading "Life of Fred - Cats" and loving every weird, mathy minute of it!

An American Mom Down Under
    (formerly "whozyourmamma" but had issues with log in!)
    F
    F
    Originally Posted by Caligirl
    My kindergartner is reading "Life of Fred - Cats" and loving every weird, mathy minute of it!

I wish our library would get the new Life of Fred books already smirk . We checked out fractions over the summer.

DD10 Call of the Wild

DS10 Robinson Crusoe

They're liking the classics lately - recent reads: Journey to the Middle of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables

Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
    Originally Posted by Kate
    This week, DS8 is reading Catching Fire (part 2 of Hunger Games) and Gregor the Overlander (by the same author). If he leaves one at school, he reads the other one at home. He usually has at least 2 books in process as one book is left somewhere where he is not... And don't worry, we have plenty available "on deck" so I do not have to hear the dreaded, "I don't have anything to reeeeaadddddd!!!!!!"

I wasn't sure if the Hunger Games series is appropriate for this age? I read them and know my DD8 would enjoy them, but we've already had a few incidents at school where what she says has been misunderstood by other kids or adults...when I told her they were about kids fighting other kids to the death, she said "cool!" I realize she means that sounds exciting and with lots of tension, but other people might take that as her saying it would be cool for kids to kill kids...am I the only one who worries about that?

I was the same way. DS8 had asked to read Hunger Games a while ago and I wouldn't let him. Finally I gave in, and I basically hovered over him asking him, "Are you scared?" "Do you think you are going to have nightmares?" "You can talk to me about anything in the book that bothers you." etc, etc. He wasn't bothered by it like I was. (I almost stopped reading the book after the first couple chapters because I was so disturbed.)

We've talked about the dark future portrayed in it, but I have not seen or heard anything from him about kids who kill.

M
    M
    The Thief Lord (by Cornelia Funke?)- It's about orphans trying to make it on their own in Venice. It has a tiny bit of fantasy and several quirky characters.

G
    G
    DS 6 just finished Thrill-o-Rama a Phineus and Ferb book. His dad is reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to him though he could probably read a lot of it himself. Recently he's been reading the Droon series as well as A-Z mysteries and Ready Freddy.

Originally Posted by eema
    This is the kind of thing I could only share here.

DS11 is reading a book called Hard Money: Taking Your Gold Investment to a Higher Level.

He is fascinated with money, stocks, currency and commodities. I have no idea where he gets it from.

I used to have (actually, I think I still have them up in the attic...) a whole set of US History books, like one about The Star Spangled Banner and one about the battle of the Merrimac and Monitor, etc...they were awesome...and I remember a book about money...it was pretty fascinating and talked some about stock and how we wound up with paper money, etc...fascinating stuff!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    R
    R
    DS(7)2nd grade just finished Bulging Brains. He has read Angry Animals and Nasty Nature. He much prefers to read nonfiction. He also has reread Weird but True for the 5th time. He has been reading the Warriors and Time Warp Trio graphic novels. Love Calvin and Hobbes.

At night he reads with his dad and they have been reading Andrew Clements, A week in the woods. He has liked Frindle and other books by Mr. Clements.

U
    U
    The Best School Year Ever, by Barbara Robinson
    Warriors, The Sight, by Erin HUnter

I think she's finished the 8 or so old Peanuts books I got at a booksale--she loves Peanuts. I should totally get her some Far Side! Calvin and Hobbes has been deemed "sexist."

DD is 7 and in 2nd.

Last edited by ultramarina; 10/26/11 05:41 AM.
    A
    A
    DD8 has started Origami Yoda, DS10 just finished Darth Paper and started Jane Eyre. He said he wanted something in his lexile level and wanted to push himself a little. Go DS, go! lol

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM