Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I just typed this up and it disappeared, so hopefully this isn't a double post.

DS9 has dysgraphia and stealth dyslexia. We started working with an OG tutor in September and he started learning cursive. They say that cursive is easier for kids with dyslexia because the letters start at the same place on the line every time. Well, I'm linking to a picture of his first 5 sentences written spontaneously (without a model to look at). I wish I had a before picture to show you what his printing looks like, but if you have a kid with dysgraphia, you know how bad it is. His cursive has looked this good almost from the beginning. It is truly amazing. BTW, he hasn't learned capital letters yet, hence the lower case i's. smirk

[Linked Image from i765.photobucket.com]

WOW!!! DD9's cursive is better than her printing, but not by that much. Teaching her cursive was the trial of all trials. It was what started our journey to the dyslexia/dysgraphia diagnosis. Her psychologist at first thought it was related to anxiety and perfectionism (not saying they are not, but that did not explain her problems away).

Progress is an amazing thing! Keep that picture and take many, many more. I took a picture when DD wrote four three-letter words in cursive on the bathtub tiles with bath crayons. It was the first time she had ever wrote in cursive without a cattle prod. We framed it!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    S
    S
    Wow my DD10 struggles greatly with cursive. Complains she can barely read it which is starting to cause problems in school since her teachers are starting to write mostly in cursive on the SmartBoards.

P
    P
    That's really awesome cursive!!! I totally get how wonderful it is to see too!

Our dysgraphic ds also has found cursive to be "easier" and his cursive is much more legible than his print - so legible in fact that it was one of the best-looking cursive scripts in his 4th grade class when the kids first learned cursive. It actually made things *more* difficult for him in school for awhile - and for me. His teachers saw that he could write in cursive, and they tried to use that to argue that he wasn't dysgraphic "anymore" and didn't need his keyboarding and other software accommodations. The thing is, no matter how great his cursive looked on paper, his speed is so extremely slow that it will never be functional for him, and he is still bogged down by the act of handwriting filling up his working memory which means in turn the content of what he writes is very limited compared to other means of expression. The other thing that happened with our ds is that as great as his cursive looked in 4th grade, it didn't improve and several years later still looks the same, while at the same time his classmates' cursive (and printing) continues to look better and better. So ds' cursive looked "normal" in 4th grade but no longer looks "normal" for his grade level.

Best wishes,

polarbear

K
    K
    If it matters,I am an adult with dyslexia who always found cursive even harder, despite all the assurances that there was "scientific proof" that I had to find it easier than print-writing.
    There is research showing that the fastest, most legible handwriters avoid cursive but don't quite print, either: they skip the harder joins (so they're joining only some of the letters) and they tend to use print-like shapes for those letters whose cursive and printed shapes disagree. This is how most adults write, if they are rapid and legible at all -- so why not work toward that? There is some more info at a site called HandwritingThatWorks dot com.

P
    P
    Hmmm... interesting. The other day at dd6 IEP meeting I brought up that cursive is supposed to be better for some kids. The OT and teachers basically said "yes, for some" but then dropped it. You have me wondering if it's something I should pursue...

H
    H
    For kids with dysgraphia, may I suggest the use of a gel pen? They seem to offer less friction than a pencil. My son and many of the students I tutor all seem to really enjoy writing with a gel pen. It's hard to find, but there;s even an erasable one (Pilot Frixion) which seems to oversome many teachers' resistance to the use of a pen in early grades.

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-FriXion-Point-Erasable-FX7-BLK/dp/B001GAOTLY

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    The thing is, no matter how great his cursive looked on paper, his speed is so extremely slow that it will never be functional for him, and he is still bogged down by the act of handwriting filling up his working memory which means in turn the content of what he writes is very limited compared to other means of expression.

Yes, DS9 is extremely slow, too. It definitely is not something he is able to use for school work yet. I'm glad you replied because I was just expecting to see continued speed and improvement. Now I know not to expect too much, which is good, because sometimes my high expectations lead to a lot of frustration.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by KateGladstone
    If it matters,I am an adult with dyslexia who always found cursive even harder, despite all the assurances that there was "scientific proof" that I had to find it easier than print-writing.
    There is research showing that the fastest, most legible handwriters avoid cursive but don't quite print, either: they skip the harder joins (so they're joining only some of the letters) and they tend to use print-like shapes for those letters whose cursive and printed shapes disagree. This is how most adults write, if they are rapid and legible at all -- so why not work toward that? There is some more info at a site called HandwritingThatWorks dot com.

This is definitely the way I write...a mix of cursive and print...and I write very fast. I have explained to him, as has his teacher, that as time goes by, he will adjust his letter to write the way that suits him best.

A
    A
    HoneyBadger - we used gel pens for our kid with dysgraphia as well as pencils with insertable lead - and put fat, spongy grippers on both. It really helped when he was younger. Great advice!

perplexed - that's awesome writing! Cursive was not the magic bullet for our son, but I'd heard that it could be. Your sample is proof of that!

My son's mid school teachers have all banded together and decided that my son will have access to their classroom computers rather than doing his work on paper. His keyboarding skills are quite good, so he's much faster and accurate when typing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM