Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
    Y
    yannam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    Hi all

intention is to know different books kids of a particular grade/age reading. we hopefully know wide variety of books and please write couple of lines about positive and negative points of that book as well

DD- grade 2- the story of ferdinand- DD saw a play on that at our local theatre and wants to read the book. Wonderful, i can not point out any negatives

BFG- one of the classics of Dahl's books and this was her class teacher's read aloud book, could not wait till her teacher finishes it, finished at home. Non american book, easy to read though

Hoping to get a huge collection of kid's favorites in a gifted forum!!!!!!!

D
    D
    What a great idea!

DS7 just finished "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."

Now reading a Magic School Bus chapter book: "Space Explorers."

Also, for the grown-ups out there . . . Roald Dahl wrote for adults too! He has a terrific collection of (very twisted) short stories -- the Roald Dahl Omnibus. DS refuses to pick up Dahl (or anything else DH and I say he should read).

F
    F
    dd7 second grade is read The Penderwicks at Pointe Mouette

DD9 in fourth grade is reading her Discovery Kids Almanac for the 100th time (at least!), The Cinderella Diaries and I Survived - Pearl Harbour Explosion (much better than the shark attack one she read last week). She is really into non-fiction lately and she promised to do her whole book report project in November without complaining if I buy her a new Almanac (her idea!).

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    T
    T
    DS8 in 4th is reading Scrumble ( I think thats how its spelt ). He seems to like it, and from the pages hes read me on various nights before bed, it seems very well written, is interesting, has great imagery, and expanded vocabulary (extra bonus lol).

E
    E
    DD has become obsessed with Shel Silverstein poems. DH reads her them from his old books at bedtime. She loves the creepy ones. She walks around reciting them. Her favorite is "Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me, Too." She had the whole thing memorized after only a couple of readings.

We heart Ferdinand, too. Him and Horton are two of our favorite heroes.

C
    C
    DS8, 4th grade, just finished The Warlock by Michael Scott and is halfway through Son of Neptune.

C
    C
    DD7 is reading "Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald. I find it challenging to find material for my high PRI scoring DS6. Right now he is reading and re reading a Toy Story joke book.

P
    P
    DD10(6th) just finished "Farewell to Manzanar". She also re-reads Shel Silverstein a lot, among others. She also just read a bunch of "Choose Your Own Adventure" books and really enjoyed them.

DD8 just chose 2 Geronimo Stilton, a Wishbone Mysteries and...this is funny...Pinduli by Janell Cannon (of Stellaluna fame). I think, at first glance, Pinduli seems below her abilities, but the story is sort of complex..."an endearing young hyena who shoes the creatures of the African savanna how a few tiny words-bad or good-can create something enourmous." Plus the way she grabbed it and exclaimed that it was from the same author as Stellaluna, which WAS one of her favorite books when she was little...the connection was what I liked...plus, she can read it out loud to DD4.5 wink She is also reading Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix, class read aloud is Ramona and Beezus and she's really into her Discovery Kids magazine issue on spiders!

DD4.5 is a kalidescope...she chose something like Dr Meow's Hospital or something from the library, lol! She reads individual words or with your prompting, but hasn't yet demonstrated a want to read independently. For her, it's a social event and she has several favorite books memorized. Chrysanthemum is a favorite (and well loved around our whole school) and Fancy Nancy...she loves the magnificent vocabulary wink. I just started reading Little House in the Big Woods out loud to her and she also likes "Play Safe, Stay Safe" and books about going to Kindergarden, hahahah!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM