Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
    DS 5.5 is reading the most recent NERDS book, one of the Droon books, and his Highlights magazine. He finished the new Pseudonymous Bosch book and is really liking the Wayside school books.

I still bring in picture books occasionally -they are where he is emotionally often but I am doing it less as he gets them in Kindergarten.

Love book threads - now I have stuff to check out for my bottomless pit of a reader!

DeHe

A
    A
    DS10 just read Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley. Tales of Beetle the Bard by JK Rowling, the 10th Pendragon book, and just started Long Spikes by Jim Arnosky.

DD8 is reading Ellie McDoodle

L
    L
    My 13 year old son is reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to World Mythology.

R
    R
    DS9 is reading The Story of Science: Einstein Adds a New Dimension by Joy Hakim, any Calvin & Hobbes he can get his hands on (Calvin & Hobbes is a daily requirement), and Speak up and Get Along by Scott Cooper (this one I kind of planted in his room)... Also, whatever else he can find and hide at school, I'm sure. (Usually involves world records of doing something gross.)

Y
    yannam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    Hi

Thank you all for your input. I would appreciate input from some more posters with young kids in grade 1 and 2 level. Please share your young gifted kids book reading list

L
    L
    Today, DD5 brought home from the library: more Nancy Drew, Encyclopedia Brown, *cringe* Rainbow Fairies, and a couple of Magic Treehouse (which she has already read, but picked them up anyway). Non-fiction? she wants none of it, but did read a couple I had laying out on the couch last week. I wonder if that trick will work again this week...

U
    U
    DD7 is reading book 1 of Erin Hunter's Warrior series, which she has picked up and put down many times before but may be ready for now (themes are a bit dark). She is also reading Magic or Not, by Edward Eager, and Rabbit Hill, by Robert Lawson. At school (they do a lot of independent reading) she just finished Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great.

Originally Posted by LetsDoMath
    Today, DD5 brought home from the library: more Nancy Drew, Encyclopedia Brown, *cringe* Rainbow Fairies, and a couple of Magic Treehouse (which she has already read, but picked them up anyway). Non-fiction? she wants none of it, but did read a couple I had laying out on the couch last week. I wonder if that trick will work again this week...

Any suggestions for moving beyond the rainbow fairies. My niece loves them, I thought the American girl books but not sure she will like the magic tree houses. Thanks

DeHe

D
    D
    Originally Posted by yannam
    Thank you all for your input. I would appreciate input from some more posters with young kids in grade 1 and 2 level. Please share your young gifted kids book reading list

Magic Tree House, Tales From the Odyssey, anything by Roald Dahl, the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Magic School Bus (the chapter books are better than the other books, IMO), DS likes the Star Wars "easy readers," Wayside School, Droon . . .

B
    B
    DS (3 3/4): Magic Tree House series, Puppy Place series, Wizard of Oz (usually we read a page each :)), non-fiction about the human body... ANythign is fair game these days as long as it is not scary!

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM