Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
    Originally Posted by PipersMom
    DD10(6th) just finished "Farewell to Manzanar". She also re-reads Shel Silverstein a lot, among others. She also just read a bunch of "Choose Your Own Adventure" books and really enjoyed them.

I'm pretty sure I have read that...is that about Japanese internment camps?
    Fan of CYOA too wink

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    J
    J
    DD8 is re-reading one of the Mysterious Benedict Society books for the umpteenth time (a fun and great read for gifted kids), a easy non-fiction on Helen Keller (inspiring), a non-fiction on Sir Francis Drake (not sure how we got this, but a good overview history and fascinating), and has started on Anne of Green Gables (enjoying it).

smile

A
    A
    DD8 has recently been re-reading School of Fear: Class is Not Dismissed, Lafcadio (Shel Silverstein), and probably some Percy Jackson. Much of her reading is done on the sly, so I don't know exactly what's in the current rotation.

M
    M
    DD10 is reading the Ranger's Apprentice. DD8 is re-reading her stack of cookbooks.

R
    R
    DD7 is reading Marie-Grace, just finished a Geronimo Stilton, and several of the Ivy + Bean books. She has also been reading any Wierd School books she can get her hands on. (All this from my child who until 3 weeks ago wanted to do math rather than read.) She is reading 1+ books a day right now.

DD10 and DD12 were arguing over the new Rick Riordan book earlier this week - I think DD12 won and has already finished it. DD10 is reading the latest School of Fear and Gilda Joyce books. She also read a Geronimo Stilton book her little sister had sitting around.

In addition to finishing the Rick Riordan, DD12 is reading The Shakespeare Stealer, and Bram Stoker's Dracula. She finished The Hobit earlier in the week, and has just finished all of the Pretty Little Liars books (not exactly quality literature, but she reads so much that is high quality, she's allowed to have a little fluff thrown in).

I spend entirely too much on books!

Last edited by revmom; 10/19/11 08:40 PM.
    S
    S
    DS6 just read one of the stink moody books (judy's little brother) last night and has another one for this weekend.

DS11 is reading a book called Dark Life.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
    I think, at first glance, Pinduli seems below her abilities, but the story is sort of complex

I occurs to me that since our kids skipped over easier book levels, they missed out on many wonderful books, especially some of the classic picture books.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by PipersMom
    DD10(6th) just finished "Farewell to Manzanar". She also re-reads Shel Silverstein a lot, among others. She also just read a bunch of "Choose Your Own Adventure" books and really enjoyed them.

I'm pretty sure I have read that...is that about Japanese internment camps?
    Fan of CYOA too wink

It is, written from a young girl's perspective of being in the camp- dd finished it in 2 days, really enjoyed it a lot!

Originally Posted by doclori
    I think, at first glance, Pinduli seems below her abilities, but the story is sort of complex

I occurs to me that since our kids skipped over easier book levels, they missed out on many wonderful books, especially some of the classic picture books.

Agreed. And since, like so many other kids here, she reads so voraciously, I honestly don't concern myself with it. She hasn't gotten to venturing into "too mature" material yet so we're good wink

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    DS10 - Darkwing by Kenneth Oppel - He loved this book and is now beginning another by the same author.

DD9- Carlotta and her Kittens and others by this author.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM