Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 181 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Clara Tim, markhogue, John Henderson, wm97, oliviazimmerman
    10844 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 125 of 263 < 1 2 ... 123 124 125 126 127 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #111441 - 09/10/11 07:01 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    ultramarina Offline

DS, 3.5, is reading. Very early reading, but it's definitely reading--he'll go through the BOB books sounding out, get a bit distracted and start reciting from memory, and then stop, correct himself, and start actually reading again. In any case, I tested him with random easy phonetic words on the whiteboard and he got them all right.

It's all sounded out--no sight words except for "the" and "and," which he picked up because he had to to read those books. So that's interesting. I'm not sure if this is still a party trick or if he'll really learn this way or what.

To be perfectly honest I think this clicked because I've been letting him watch streaming episodes of Word World on my weekly drop-dead work deadline day. (Where's the embarrassed smiley?) We really don't do TV as a general rule.

#111475 - 09/11/11 11:13 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    kathleen'smum Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
    DD9 is the ultimate end-of-the-driveway salesperson. Each weekend, she and her friends set up a different stand: lemonade, orange juice, car washes, etc. The sign and stand go up first, and then they come running in the house in a panic looking for supplies when the customers start. (Organization is a work in progress around here). The item of today was ice cream sundaes (we, of course, have no ice cream in our house... a minor detail). They came in with their sign of menu toppings, looking for tape. I glanced at it and nearly aspirated my coffee. God love her, really, I know she struggles with writing and we are in the process of investigating for stealth dyslexia, but there was no way I could let her put up a sign offering chocolate sperm sundaes!!! (I think she meant supreme?)

#111478 - 09/11/11 11:18 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: ultramarina]
    onthegomom Offline

Originally Posted By: ultramarina
    To be perfectly honest I think this clicked because I've been letting him watch streaming episodes of Word World on my weekly drop-dead work deadline day. (Where's the embarrassed smiley?) We really don't do TV as a general rule.

I've learned TV is a cold media for learning but when used with good progamming I think it's great. My kids learned alot about Science and Nature from TV and Videos.

#111479 - 09/11/11 11:19 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    frannieandejsmom Offline

Loc: somewhere out there
    ahahah now THAT is funny smile

#111480 - 09/11/11 11:20 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: kathleen'smum]
    onthegomom Offline

Originally Posted By: kathleen'smum
    DD9 but there was no way I could let her put up a sign offering chocolate sperm sundaes!!! (I think she meant supreme?)

That's a great story!

#111482 - 09/11/11 11:39 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    flower Offline

DD13 refused to take the US History course she was first enrolled in due to the biased approach of the teacher. She said that the teacher would only allow positive perspectives of the United States. She advocated herself out of the class into a painting class.

Also she passed the writing test and will be taking her first university level English class.

#111487 - 09/11/11 01:35 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    sydness Offline

SOOO funny about sperm sundaes! DD6 came home from school on the seceond day of first grade with a book she stapled together..She wanted to make a signature book for her friends to sign...it says on the cover...."Sin Book." I had to have her explain that one!

#111557 - 09/12/11 10:18 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Austin Offline

Loc: North Texas
    Mr W (3.5Y) is into writing stuff down.

This weekend he trapped me on the couch with his notebook and pen and wanted me to write out some "Really big words" so he could practice writing them.

We started with "House" and "Football" and ended up somewhere near "Grilled Cheese Sandwich" and "Automatically" all of which he faithfully wrote down.

Spelling is a big deal with him. He wants to learn to spell the word before he "reads" it.

"Spelling is a critical skill for success, Daddy, and I must master it."

LOL

He is also into writing out "words" and asking me what they mean. Sometimes they are nonsense, but other times they are real words.

#114056 - 10/18/11 02:30 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    frannieandejsmom Offline

Loc: somewhere out there
    Ds is in kinder. His assignment was to draw a picure and write a story about a pumpkin, a bat and the moon (picture not included). Here is his story (hope this works)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/franniesmomma/EJsstory101811.jpg

Edited by frannieandejsmom (10/18/11 02:32 PM)
    Edit Reason: it didn't work lol

#114113 - 10/19/11 03:20 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    GeoMamma Offline

smile Very cool!

Page 125 of 263 < 1 2 ... 123 124 125 126 127 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Full time in person learning-accommodati
    on for ADD

by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:28 PM
    Grading practices