Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    But you 'push' your children to follow their passions, what will they have to rebel against? Go for a traditional job out of spite?

I remember not wanting to rebel against my parents for any reason, being that rebellion was a form of moral evil. At that age, I was aiming for moral perfection more than anything else.

My goal was basically to execute their will and to do what they wanted.

Of course, then they died and/or fired me, so it became a moot point.

P
    P
    My DS7 would like to be a Paleontologist after his career in the NBA.

U
    U
    Baby Knee Surgeon would be an awesome band name. wink

DD has wanted to be a teacher for a long time, but she also wants to be an ornithologist and an artist, and sometimes, the president. wink

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DD has wanted to be a teacher for a long time, but she also wants to be an ornithologist and an artist, and sometimes, the president. wink

My wife grew up wanting to be a teacher, but she was discouraged from doing it because teachers are generally "poor".

Now she wants to go back to school for it.

Go figure.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I don't actually have much of a passion or anything I'm really interested in doing in life, so I'm always amazed when people have passions or things they are interested in accomplishing and actually want to get up in the morning.

Right now with 2 kids in diapers, and one who is constantly trying to test his mortality, life is too demanding for my tastes. Back when I had one child, I was as excited to go home from work and spend time with her everyday as I used to be to go see a live concert from my favorite band.

Originally Posted by herenow
    Originally Posted by AntsyPants
    omg i totally forgot but when DD8 was little, maybe 4, she used to play these online surgery simulation video games (don't look at me funny! i didn't bring that on...you know how gifted kids are!) and she loved to do the knee replacement best, over and over. She said when she grew up she wanted to be a Baby Knee Surgeon. I don't know how many babies blow out their knees but she was pretty bent on that for a while! Talk about specializing lol
    I am just about falling out of my chair laughing here. Tears are streaming down my face. What an awesome kid! Thank you for sharing that one.

Best laugh of the day. Thanks for that! If any of my patients are in need, I'll know who to refer them to ;-)

DD9 loves to do online surgery, too. A few weeks ago I walked in on her performing a cardiac catheterization and overheard her say, "Darn it, he needs angioplasty!" Warmed my heart!!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    Best laugh of the day. Thanks for that! If any of my patients are in need, I'll know who to refer them to ;-)

DD9 loves to do online surgery, too. A few weeks ago I walked in on her performing a cardiac catheterization and overheard her say, "Darn it, he needs angioplasty!" Warmed my heart!!

It doesn't surprise me that there aren't any online lawsuit simulators that kids like to play.

Last edited by JonLaw; 10/13/11 01:22 PM. Reason: Quote repair!
    OP Offline
    I think there has to be balance of course, between what you love and putting food on the table. But some of the most successful people that we all know and the ones I know personally have found success in their passion.

For example, I always loved nature. My dad always took us to natl parks and hiking, etc. So I was pretty surprised when he discouraged me from pursing a degree in Range Management. He always pushed 3 career options at me...nurse, electrician/computers or engineer. I have wondered often, why not say "Why stop at nurse, why not go for doctor?"

Now that I am a parent myself, I'm not saying you should PUSH them at a non traditional career, but rather give them support and the tools to see how their passion CAN become a rewarding and fulfilling career. Not everyone's idea of success is the same. My husband finds his job extremely satisfying, enjoys the people he works with, but is still super happy to come home to us. Me, I bounced around from job to job, always having the same problem that people thought I was flip or insolent when I used advanced language or tried some problem solving. That is looked down upon in "cog-land". So, I chucked it all and follwed my first love of sewing and fabrics. And while I am not rich, I know I model job satisfaction and career/fmaily balance to my kids. I set my own hours and don't have to worry about performance evals, etc.

I personally know SEVERAL people who are even high school dropouts with very successful businesses, etc.

It's just supposed to be a fun thread about what your gifted kid and how their quirks might make them more successfun in a nontraditional career smile

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    OP Offline
    FYI-DD8 reports wanting to be an author, illustrator and wildlife vet...so when she keeps drawing and drawing then decides to go to vet school, I will be right there, backing herr up wink

DD4.5, on the other hand, says she wants to be a "rock star, scientist, super model princess" lol!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    A
    A
    Work is work and it's generally going to be dull and boring, mostly because you have to spend time doing things you have zero interest in actually doing. But you do it to make money so that you get to eat and not be homeless. Things that are enjoyable tend to not generate revenue.

I think this is a very sad perspective to have. I have worked at a number of things where I liked what I did, and even when a majority of the actual tasks weren't exactly intrinsically rewarding, I was able to make it interesting, and I've always been able to feed my family. That said, my most enjoyable times working have certainly been when I have worked for myself, and I have pretty much decided that I am willing to sacrifice a certain amount of money to avoid having to work with/under impossible people.

I seriously urge anyone who is interested in deciding on a first career or looking to make a change to take a day to browse O-Net.

Pay special attention to the section on tools. They are available for free download, and link directly across to the occupational titles in the O-Net database.

Last edited by aculady; 10/13/11 03:48 PM. Reason: typos
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM