Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
    L
    L
    In what town/city do you live; I'm so envious of your offerings!

F
    F
    Awesome JJsmom.. I wish we were as successful. We have had nothing but broken promises for dd7 (2nd) and ds 5.5 (kinder).

F
    F
    conferences are tomorrow... I don't even know where to begin frown

edited to add.. we are probably going to have a sleep study done on dd. She is waking after about 2 hours of sleep.. well not really waking. It is like a deer in the headlight wake up. She has been falling asleep on the bus ride to school. The pediatrician says it could very well be stress related but wants to rule out sleep apnea. I don't know if I should bring up the stress levels of her classroom.

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 10/05/11 12:21 PM.
    S
    S
    hello all, haven't checked in in forever. Hope the school years are going well for all of your kiddos. How did the conferences go frannieandejsmom? DS7 is doing well this year. He is in 3rd and goes to 5th for math. Still not the best fit but it's working okay for now. He also does a computer program that is more his level for math but will be ending soon as it only goes to 8th grade for math. He is getting +2 acceleration for ELA and spelling (not including his grade skip) so that has been okay, still not challenging but better than 3rd grade stuff. It's hard because school only goes up to 5th grade so we need to figure some things out for next year. So far though, we are quite happy with the things they have done. Like I didn't know they were giving him some 5th grade ELA stuff until I saw it on the bottom of the paper. His teacher realized he needed harder stuff and gave it to him. I hope this continues : ) We don't have our conference for another month or so, so we will see.

F
    F
    conferences went ok. Frannie is receiving enrichment in math, reading and language arts. As of right now, she will not be tested for the gifted program this year.. however we are going to appeal. Its not like out Gert program is anything big though.. its 1 hour a week of pull out.

MAP scores came back and were not what we expected. The new norms lowered her percentiles quite a bit even from last year. My ds5 (kinder) math MAP was only a few points behind hers!

We decided to wait on the sleep study. We are going to have her talk to the school psychologist first and see if she can get dd to open up a bit. I am pretty sure its school related stress.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by l&k'smom
    In what town/city do you live; I'm so envious of your offerings!

I'm in Cobb County, GA... smile

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    Awesome JJsmom.. I wish we were as successful. We have had nothing but broken promises for dd7 (2nd) and ds 5.5 (kinder).

So sorry to hear. frown

M
    M
    DD8 is going to start getting differentiated math after state testing is done. Yay!

We have conferences next week, so maybe we'll learn more. From the stuff that comes home, it seems like DS7's class is doing a lot of interesting, challenging, and fun stuff, but DS still asks why he has to go to school. He's not a fan. frown But we as parents are happy with the school. Anybody have any ideas about discovering if DS's complaints about not liking school are just puffery? I know he'd prefer to stay home every day, but other than that I can't figure out if he's just trying to mess with me or if something's not quite right. (As background, he has never liked school. He no longer complains that it's boring, but he still doesn't like to go.)

N
    N
    Starting today, ds8 (3rd grade) will be going to his 4th grade math class for their "lit circle". I guess they all read the same book and discuss. His 3rd grade teacher told me about it yesterday (her little girl comes to my daycare, so I get to see her everyday). This will be during 3rd grade math, so he won't miss out on anything - hope it all goes well smile

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM