Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #113324 10/08/11 06:41 PM
    OP Offline
    something to help your gifted child or just some fun fiction? I'm always looking for something good to read myself...
    The last thing I finished and really liked was the Hunger Games series.

What are YOU reading?

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    "Overcoming Dyslexia" by Sally Shaywitz

Normally, I avoid any book with a heavy message or those that might upset me in favour of smutty paperbacks. I need mindless drivel to relax! This book is hard on my head in many ways, but very enlightening.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    OP Offline
    I should probably say I am reading the "A Nation Deceived" report, "Raising A Gifted Child" and I'm looking for something else "fun" to read...

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    I
    I
    I have to wander around the house to collect the books I'm reading....
    Bright From The Start
    What to Expect - The Second Year
    Toxic Free
    Healthy Child Healthy World
    Disease Proof Your Child
    Living with Intensity
    Reading in the Brain on my PC Kindle app

Hmm... It'll take me a week or three to finish all these. I pick them up and put them down when I have time. I also pick whichever one I'm in the mood for. They are all about half read ;D

Fiction
    I was trying to reread the Crown of Stars series, but now I'm just watching Battlestar Galactica lol

Last edited by islandofapples; 10/08/11 09:24 PM.
    S
    S
    I used to be the kind of person who started a book and didn't stop until she was done (sleep? who needs sleep??). And then I had kids...

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrom -- Attwood

Smart, But Scattered -- Dawson, Guare (recommended here)

What Hath God Wrought -- Howe (that one is part of an assignment to stretch my general education, and I am not being able to enjoy it as much as I would like because I have to jump back and forth to keep up with the book discussion)

Diplomatic Immunity -- Bujold (comfort re-read via audiobook, to pass the time when driving/doing household chores)

There are probably half a dozen more half read books lying around the house, but when they have been ignored for more than a few weeks they are tossed back on the TBR pile (which now has its own dedicated bookshelf <sigh>).

This is an old series, but I just discovered it and could NOT put it down. It is an Arthurian historical-fantasy. The author is Gillian Bradshaw and the books are Hawk of May, Kingdom of Summer, and In Winter's Shadow. I just started a new one by her that I don't think is a series and it is called The Wolf Hunt. It's also historical fantasy about werewolves in medieval France. These books are SO delicious!

I've also been reading The ADHD Effect on Marriage, Is it You, Me, or Adult ADD, Living with Intensity, Perfect Targets (Asperger Syndrome and Bullying), The Unwritten Rules of Friendship.

But I'm going to have to go on Amazon and buy everything written by Gillian Bradshaw. I'm totally addicted to her right now.

N
    N
    I've just finished reading through the Shardlake books by C.J, Sansom - historical mysteries set in the time of Henry the Eighth. Excellent books. Right now I'm suffering through the "Hangman's Daughter" - it was 99c on the Kindle. I cannot start a book and not finish it, even if it tortures me frown I'm hoping to read the Lightning Thief next, so I can discuss it with ds.

T
    T
    For when I have a spare moment - Upside-Down Brilliance: Visual-Spacial Learner

As always - several textbooks to include Corporate Taxation and a terrorism perspectives text.

Originally Posted by triplejmom
    For when I have a spare moment - Upside-Down Brilliance: Visual-Spacial Learner
    Thank you for that! Just asked my library to buy a copy..

At different times in the day yesterday I picked up and read from:

- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (DD6's current bedtime story)
    - the first installment of Raymond E. Feist's latest trilogy (MY bedtime story)
    - two different books on how to play guitar (we enrolled my daughter in classes, and it inspired me to teach myself)
    - a book on homeschooling for gifted children (wife was reading it and handed it to me to read certain passages she thought were interesting/relevant/important)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM