Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    My children's elementary school uses Saxon math and is looking to add IXL to help with differentiation. Does anyone have any experience with combining these two programs? Or any other recommendations for a program that complements Saxon math in the classroom setting?

TIA

L
    L
    Our school doesn't use Saxon, but I have IXL for both my kids at home and they really like it. It is just a practice site, though, so it doesn't actually "teach" new concepts, so it seems like it would work with any math curriculum. I like that it gives you access to K-6th topics so kids can work through their grade level or skip ahead, however you want to do it. I found more my ODS, it is a bit repetitive, though. You have to answer a certain number of questions correctly to record mastery of that skill, but in general he doesn't need as many reps as the program requires to master the skill.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks for responding. Saxon has so much practice in the program, I'm curious how this would be beneficial. It was touted as a way to differentiate for the high ability students.

To add on: IXL generally requires around 28 right answers at a minimum to finish a task, but that isn't so many as to necessarily bore my son to tears, at least for problem types that can be done quickly, which is pretty much all of them at the lower levels. I believe it's been expanded to include coverage up to grade 8 now.

I wouldn't want to use IXL much for differentiation. I see it mostly as a practice site, which lets one jump around at will and which does its best to keep things from getting too boring. Unless you have a child who is good at teaching himself/herself on the fly, it wouldn't be good for differentiation in terms of advancing understanding or learning new concepts. Nor do the majority of tasks involve the types of in-depth problem solving that gifted kids (and I suppose all kids) need to practice in order to grow in math ability. I like IXL, but it really is geared towards skill practice.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    A
    A
    Alcumus might be a better choice for developing mathematical thinking with advanced students, although it might not be quite as useful for the lowest grades.

ALEKS is another option the school might want to consider, especially given that, because of the way the program is set up, they could also use their school subscription for remediation and RTI purposes. It pretests each student and only teaches what they don't already know. It only takes between three and five questions right in a row on a particular topic to show provisional mastery (which is then rechecked on the next test).

Khan Academy is another possibility.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks for the added info aculady. ALEKS sounds interesting, Alcumus would be too high a level for what they're trying to do.

L
    L
    I agree. Other than as a way to keep them busy while the other students are being taught, I don't see how IXL could be used for differentiation. It would give them the opportunity to try their had at skills outside their grade level, but they would still not be instructed at their level.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM