Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Regression to the mean deals with random error in the measurement of something. It tells us nothing about that something.

It only applies to measurement, not the particular cause and effect of a given thing you are studying. The cause and effect have to be established before we can measure and then say what any mean is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_toward_the_mean

In talking about IQ, we can say someone's IQ is Z and on any given day they will test within X points of it. As they take the test over time the scores will regress to the mean of Z.

As for kids. It has already been shown that intelligence is both heritable and is affected by environment. There is also the Flynn Effect. Thus one would expect that children of highly intelligent and committed parents would also be intelligent, probably more so.

Based on the above, "families" with parents of similar traits do not "slide back" to "average" which is the underlying assumption of misusing "regression to the mean" to describe a particular person's performance.

Another way it could be misused is the "all kids catch up" by third grade. Intelligence is not something that goes away as kids get older all things being equal. IQ remains as a fundamental part of their individuality.

Originally Posted by DAD22
    ColinsMum, I fully expect Danish parents to have children that regress toward Danish means, not human means, not primate means, nor mammalian means. This effect was observed and quantified in the 19th century.

Regression in genetics is different than regression to the mean in statistics. The genetic regression depends on the trait under study. A tall family will have tall kids. They will not suddenly become Hobbits. And regression in genetics is still a way to "account" for things that cannot be measured and hence are "random" in appearance.

Since then, the term "regression" has taken on a variety of meanings, and it may be used by modern statisticians to describe phenomena of sampling bias which have little to do with Galton's original observations in the field of Genetics. Also, Galton's explanation for the regression phenomenon he observed is now known to be incorrect.

Originally Posted by Austin
    Regression in genetics is different than regression to the mean in statistics. The genetic regression depends on the trait under study. A tall family will have tall kids. They will not suddenly become Hobbits. And regression in genetics is still a way to "account" for things that cannot be measured and hence are "random" in appearance.

All I know is that low IQ runs in families, which is how you can represent multiple generations for the same disability of mental retardation (70 or below, for my purposes).

B
    B
    More precisely, we could say that "g" the theoretical and controversial idea of the general intelligence behind IQ does not normally change. There are several reasons why IQ--attempts to measure g--might change, especially from younger ages to older ages. For example, my own measured IQ changed 24 points between second grade and sixth grade, but that does not mean there was an abrupt change in my cognitive ability.

B
    B
    And by the way, my own set of siblings includes people with IQs in the genius, mentally retarded, and high average ranges, as well as some whose IQs have never been measured.

Originally Posted by Beckee
    And by the way, my own set of siblings includes people with IQs in the genius, mentally retarded, and high average ranges, as well as some whose IQs have never been measured.

Mine has teen pregnancies. My grandmother got to become a great-great-grandmother before she died.

#113108 10/05/11 01:30 PM
    A
    A
    Since "crystallized intelligence" relies on acquired information, such as vocabulary, there is a greater environmental impact.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM