Originally Posted by amamama
TexasSummer, does your program teach English literacy at the onset? I believe ours doesn't start until 2nd-3rd grade. DD6 decided in Jan that she wants to learn how to read and write English. We were told last year in K not to teach English reading skills or it may interfere with Spanish. The teacher now has said it's ok if we want to teach English at home. Until what grade does your program go?

Our program does not officially teach English literacy until 2nd grade. Before then the students have English during block (Music, Art & PE) and science (which is used as their ESL class).

Our program is a 90/10 model which sounds similar to yours.
K - 90% Spanish/10% English
1st - 90% Spanish/10% English
2nd - 80% Spanish/20% English
3rd - 70% Spanish/30% English
4th - 60% Spanish/40% English
5th - 50% Spanish/50% English

Our program officially goes through 5th but they are working on creating a program in intermediate school in which the students will have one or two classes in Spanish. My dd is in the first year of the program, so her class is always the guinea pig class. I have been extremely happy with the immersion program. Without the immersion opportunity my dd would have required radical accelleration or homeschooling. I am still working on gettting her subject accellerated in math.