Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi. My daughter was recently nominated to be tested for GT at her school. It is our District's policy that they first do the Torrance creativity test, and if you don't score well enough on that, they don't bother with the intelligence, achievement, and task completion tests. She did not score high enough on her creativity test- BUT I have some questions. Also, I'm not sure the teacher was properly trained to give and score the test. And from what I read, Torrance has suggested that his test should not be used to exclude students from GT, but to include ones who might otherwise be excluded based on IQ/achievement alone.

She is in 3rd grade, and scored 99%ile on reading and 96%ile in math on her Terra Novas last year. She has never been challenged in school, and has developed underachievement habits. Not to mention school has completely squelched her creativity thus far. Being ID'd GT isn't really worth much here- there's not a ton of services anyways. Mostly I was hoping for the free IQ test so we might qualify for DYS.

Anyways, the question I have is- is there anywhere I can get the norms for the Torrance test? She scored 140, but I have no idea on what scale or what %ile this is, and diligent internet searching has not helped. My state does subscribe to academic databases like EBSCO, so I have access to lots of journal articles. If she is close, I would like to have her test re-scored by someone who is qualified.

Thanks!

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I should add that she does not have a great relationship with the teacher who scored the test. She's a bit of a know it all and the teacher doesn't like that. Imagine that!

A
    A
    http://people.uncw.edu/caropresoe/G...es/Kim_Can-we-trust-creativity-tests.pdf says the TCCT has a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 20, so a 140 is two standard deviations out. The ceiling is close to 160 (one of the subscores ceilings at 154).

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I saw that and came to the same conclusion! Thanks for having the same thought... The teacher said something about 200, but my husband took the call and he didn't hear exactly what she said.

I'm also thinking, from that paper, that she may have been given an old test, which might be scored differently- we were told she would be scored on fluency, originality, elaboration, and flexibility, and that seems to be the previous version of the test. So now it's a whole new can o' worms!

Last edited by bellasarah; 10/03/11 09:34 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM