Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The New York Times has a Room for Debate topic about the effects of heterogeneous classrooms on top performers. You can read and comment on the various points of view here.

It just allows you to stay up until 2 am, sleep through calculus, and still get the best grade in the class.

It wasn't until I started working, though, that I eventually realized the the reason I was falling asleep all the time was because of sleep deprivation.

It's nice to not fall asleep during the day now.

I have to agree.

When I moved between my 9th and 10th grade years, the new school had three levels - basic, normal, and honors tracks. I did not know there were tracks. The counselor put me in the "basic" track - maybe because I was so quiet.

LOL

The next day I went to him and told him I wanted to be in the Honor's track and he laughed and moved me over.

The Basic classes were pretty basic. And the students were pretty basic, too. I was very fortunate to be in a school with levels that had the same expectations for each.

I work with a lot of Chinese and Indians. Their kids are not exceptionally bright. But they work very hard at studying even if the school program is easy. A lot of Anglo parents of bright kids don't like the Asian kids taking all the top honors and NMSF, but OTOH they do not want their kids to put in the hours studying.

Of course, most of PG kids are mostly either in private school or are home schooled as none of the Tier 1 publics cater to them. Its interesting to watch the reaction of the public schools "top" teenagers who are just now in calculus being upstaged by a 12 year old who is taking Analysis in college in local extracurricular academics.

A few "top" public school kids could be on the faster track if the school system was designed to pipeline them into it, but PG is PG. They just learn SO much faster.

When I was in college, we had two kids from Eastern Europe in our math program. They were exceptionally well prepared and had the equivalent of a BS in math from their HS in Europe because they had been in a special program for mathy kids. Everyone in the program was PG so most of us caught up with the Europeans and in some cases, did better.

After getting to know them and the program they loved back in their hometown, I came away feeling cheated by my school experience. Here I was, proud of testing out of all this stuff, and they had done it all by the time they were 14. And they had not even started school until they were 7.

Last edited by Austin; 10/03/11 10:29 AM.
    Originally Posted by Austin
    I work with a lot of Chinese and Indians. Their kids are not exceptionally bright. But they work very hard at studying even if the school program is easy. A lot of Anglo parents of bright kids don't like the Asian kids taking all the top honors and NMSF, but OTOH they do not want their kids to put in the hours studying.

Well, at least they don't have to go through the severe shock of transitioning from school (where you don't have to do much of anything) to the world of work, where you actually are expected to *do* something as opposed to simply *being* intelligent (which works just fine in school - skip classes and cram).

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think that this is one of the most important arguments for allowing gifted kids to move at a pace that's sufficiently fast that they finally have to study. I cannot recall ever, ever having to study anything before I started Algebra 1 in 8th grade. Up until that point, I just took the test and got a high score. When I started algebra, I was a teenager who had skipped pre-algebra with no concept of what study skills were. I did well in the end, but still had to work hard at learning a skill that many others took for granted, because they'd been developing it since early elementary school.

For me, the decision to let gifted kids coast through school is a big failing in our education system.

I got through the engineering weed-out classes before my grades started really getting shredded. Math didn't really hurt me until differential equations. I never did get around to actually trying to understand them.

Eventually I started throwing out C's and D's. Some classes I actually gave up on and just failed. In hindsight, I should have developed some sort of study skills and organization. Also, attending class on a regular basis and doing homework would have been a plus.

My grades in college actually follow an excellent descending linear slope. Starting out with a 3.75 and ending with 1.75 (on a semester by semester basis - not cumulative).

At the time, I noticed that people seemed most concerned with grades in your major or grades in your last two years, which were actually my worst grades. I guess for most people, they are the best grades.

Although, I also wasn't sure what I was doing in college, having actually no desire to be there. At the time, I was just doing what my parents instructed me to do.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    At least two of my kids will finish high school early, and we won't encourage them to start college immediately, though we'll probably let them if they want to. The idea is to give them time to explore the world a bit before they have to start thinking seriously about what they want to do with their lives.

This will mean any of the following or a combination of things:

• Get a job (part-time or full time)
    • Enroll in a local community college and explore courses there (Astronomy? Physics? Pottery? etc.)
    • Do an internship at a company or in some exotic place
    • Start something up by writing some software or whatever
    • Study overseas at another high school and learn/improve other languages.
    • Other?

FWIW, my eldest has skipped two grades (and is at a new school), and socializing with classmates isn't super-easy for him right now (this is a kid with very good social skills). We've made it clear to him that delaying college will fix this problem. It'll be up to him to decide what's most important for him: college immediately or the other options.

The age-gap problem is, for me, another big problems faced by gifted kids in American schools. The lack of choices in the vast majority of schools means that staying with agemates or near-agemates and being challenged appropriately is rarely an option.

Originally Posted by Val
    At least two of my kids will finish high school early, and we won't encourage them to start college immediately, though we'll probably let them if they want to. The idea is to give them time to explore the world a bit before they have to start thinking seriously about what they want to do with their lives.

Law school's always a good place to spend $150,000 while having no idea what to go do with yourself.

Sadly, that requires a college degree first.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by CFK
    You need to consider this option carefully. After highschool graduation, any courses taken at a community college will be considered as post secondary credits. Take too many and your child would no longer be eligible to apply to a 4 year university as a freshman. He/she would be a transfer student which generally means fewer seats and fewer scholarship opportunities.

FWIW, my eldest has skipped two grades (and is at a new school), and socializing with classmates isn't super-easy for him right now (this is a kid with very good social skills). We've made it clear to him that delaying college will fix this problem. I hope that works for your son but I don't think that is necessarily true.

I second both of these comments.

Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    Originally Posted by CFK
    You need to consider this option carefully. After highschool graduation, any courses taken at a community college will be considered as post secondary credits. Take too many and your child would no longer be eligible to apply to a 4 year university as a freshman. He/she would be a transfer student which generally means fewer seats and fewer scholarship opportunities.

FWIW, my eldest has skipped two grades (and is at a new school), and socializing with classmates isn't super-easy for him right now (this is a kid with very good social skills). We've made it clear to him that delaying college will fix this problem. I hope that works for your son but I don't think that is necessarily true.

I second both of these comments.

A problem with college scholarships is that you sometimes get locked into a major or area of study, so if you change it, you lose the money anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM