Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #112753 09/30/11 11:19 AM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Hello,
    I have a 3rd grader who attends a private school. For the last two years he is given a different math lesson for the grade above while sitting in his normal classroom. He has been tested, and does Math in the 6-7th grade level, so giving him fourth grade work doesn't teach him anything new. I would love to homeschool, but he does enjoy most of his day at school. We do not feel like he is learning anything new, unless we teach it to him. I would like to supplement his day with some homeschooling especially in math. Could you recommend a Math Homeschool Program for Gifted children. Maybe starting at around the 6th grade level?? Thank you so much,
    Jules

S
    S
    People will probably have plenty of suggestions, but if he can be given access to a computer during math time have you investigated EPGY (computer based, specifically targets gifted children all the way up to college level), ALEKS (online, open to all, goes up to college level) or Khan Academy (online, open to all, goes up to college level)?

Has anyone tried
    http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/cove/
    Descartes' Cove?
    I've never been able to get over the price tag, but you DS seems to be at a great level for it.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S
    Interesting, Grinity.

DS7 is only starting 3rd grade level in Aleks so we are still far from that level, but can anybody who tried it out tell if it is reinforcement (ie. assumes that the concepts have been taught), like Dreambox (which my son loved) or includes at least the basics of teaching inside the program (like Aleks and Khan Academy) and whether the lessons are "wall of text" (like Aleks, which my son finds meh!, mostly because it requires him to read way too much text in between math stuff) or spoken out loud (like Khan academy).

C
    C
    Descartes' Cove is meant as reinforcement/stretching with more challenging problems. There is a sort of book, "Descartes' Notebook" but I don't see anyone, let alone a young child, really teaching themselves all the material from it. It's a few pages of text, done up as an explorer's guidebook sort of thing. That said, you might be surprised how much can be learned without teaching, just from doing problems... My DS went through it slowly over nearly 2 years from his 6th birthday. Because he was learning in a lot of other ways at the same time, what happened was that in the early adventures he was meeting a lot of stuff for the first time, and often needed help from me, although by the later ones it was review (he still enjoyed it, though - some of the problems are significantly challenging, even if you do know the material it's based on). We liked DC a lot, but be aware that (a) the animation, though still impressive to my sheltered DS, look dated now and would probably not impress a child who plays video games routinely (b) there are a surprising number of mathematical issues. Most are just poor communication between mathematician and artist, e.g. I remember a q where the artist illustrated one definition of "diagonal" (of a polygon) but to get the right answer you had to use another definition. In the very last adventure there is a Hypatia's Cove q where the right answer is not available as a choice and the secret file solution is wrong, though! (Yes, I'm sure, no I haven't reported it, seems little point with something distributed on CD!)

For the OP, the thing I keep recommending like a broken record is Alcumus, and I'll do it again. If you search, you'll find some of my other raves about it, so maybe I won't repeat myself. They have recently introduced a prealgebra section, btw, which lowers the entry bar and makes it available to younger children than it was, I assume.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I will second the epgy suggestion -- http://epgy.stanford.edu/
    they do a good job (good not perfect) of not making a child repeat too often/work through too many problems if they are able to handle the initial group of problems for each lesson. My son did beginning algebra and enjoyed it although he petered out at the end due to other obligations. It boosted his confidence tremendously, also.
    I have to look at Khan and Alcumus!

M
    M
    Kahn Academy is so fun and fabulous to use too! The explanations are lovely for kids, the instructional videos are not too long, and the site is really easy to use too.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM