Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    acs Offline
    Hi Cathy,

Let me add my own, "that is so astonishingly lame!" to the Chorus going up from the board. i don't think I would have slept for a month after getting something like that.

The compassionate part of me, though, cries out for the poor child who is being raised by this jerk. His kid doesn't deserve to have to put up with the %$#@ that his father is probably creating for him. Maybe it would help keep you grounded to find some compassion for the poor little 6 year old. At least, your son gets to go home with a nice mom!

Oh Cathy - I am so sorry you had to deal with that. I send you many hugs. I think you probably did the right thing in ignoring it. But I'm pretty sure if that happened to me, I would have gone to the principal. What a nut job. I agree with acs - this poor little kid is going to have a rotten life with a dad like that, so best to play nice, I suppose. (of course, if you ever get the opportunity to stick it to this guy, I'm all for it!)

Ann Offline
    Originally Posted by acs
    The compassionate part of me, though, cries out for the poor child who is being raised by this jerk. His kid doesn't deserve to have to put up with the %$#@ that his father is probably creating for him. Maybe it would help keep you grounded to find some compassion for the poor little 6 year old. At least, your son gets to go home with a nice mom!

HEAD NODDING - poor jerk's DS cry

Last edited by Ann; 03/12/08 08:14 AM. Reason: my rampant emotionalism
    Q
    Q
    Cathy,

That letter is unbelievable. You definitely should hold onto it - you can put it in a book someday about out of control or out of reality parents. It's one of those truth is stranger than fiction things. Kindergarten graduation of all things...

So sorry for you and your DS. Oh, and so sorry for G!!!

K
    K
    Ok - coming late here, but I'm am absolutely appalled that another parent sent you that! How completely classless! It's not like your child was caught plagerizing at Harvard. That is absolutely horrible. I'm so sorry you had to endure that. I wonder what the other parents and the teachers there would say if they knew about this? Isn't kindergarten supposed to be warm, fuzzy, and INCLUSIVE?

And you do have to feel for a child that is being brought up with a parent who thinks this way. Sad. Definitely sounds like a candidate for Springer.

Keep your head held high. It is really tough being stuck with that kid in your DS's class, but you did nothing wrong except be a good parent for your son. What a whack job. It makes my head want to explode thinking about it.

Obviously this man has some VERY serious issues. You were probably right to just not go but I think I would have gone just to spite him. (show's my immaturity right? grin) Did you check with any of the other parents to see if anyone else felt this way? This was most probably just him on some sort of crazy power trip. It's not his kids fault, but I definitely wouldn't be fostering any friendships between your DS and the other child. (although it would be kind of funny if they became best friends and then the dad had to eat his words)

I'm so sorry he put you through this and good luck if you ever run into him at school!

W
    W
    I would post the letter on the bulletin board, with a sign that said "Bad Parenting Teaches our Children the Wrong Values".

In fact I would make copies (deleting your name and son's names and post it everywhere in the neighborhood with the same sign attached.

Ren

Wow, Cathy, it is hard to believe that someone would think that much less put it in writing.

If it does bother you for that child to be in your son's class, you might consider showing the letter to your principal and requesting that your child be placed in a different class next year.

OMG. I haven't seen anything so mean and rude for a very long time. What exactly was his problem???? How did you explain all that to your son? Did his last year teacher know about this?

May be next time you see him, you can mention how glad you were to see his son when you were helping in your son's classroom wink I personally would avoid the jerk as much as possible, but if you have to face him smile and if asked mention that your son got skipped because he is very advanced academically smile

How did you like the 1st class otherwise?

LMom
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Sorry I confused people with my original post...

We received the letter last year just before the end of school. DS had been early entranced (in January, at age 4) to private K at the school mentioned in the letter (not the school DS and K attend now). G's father felt that my son wasn't "qualified" to graduate (despite never having met DS...) We ended up not attending the graduation after G's father threatened to disrupt the ceremony if we attended. The private school spinelessly asked us not to come. We had invited relatives from out of town to see the little performance the kids were going to do. Instead, we baked cupcakes and had a family pool party.

Later, I found out that DS' teacher was actually babysitting G after school at G's house and that she was very chummy with his family and with K's family. She talked a lot to them about her opinions of DS and complained to them about having him placed in her class. It was totally unprofessional...

Anyway...like I said, I thought it was all water under the bridge and then I find out that K is in DS' new class this year! My plan is to not say anything about it at all...unless it becomes a problem. Chances are, DS and K will not be in the same second grade class next year anyway.

Ugh. I hate the idea of these toxic people poisoning others against DS...I hope that doesn't happen.

Otherwise, the first grade class is going great!

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy A; 03/12/08 03:52 PM.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM