Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #1117 05/08/06 12:38 AM
    J
    Jill Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I'm looking for good math resources for my 6 year old. He wants his own "real math book" to read this summer. He likes to see the big picture without a lot of repetition. For example, when I showed him how to add columns of numbers he immediately got the fact that the rules for carrying work the same way for 6 digit numbers as they do for 2 digit numbers. He gets frustrated with books that present the same concept over and over. Right now he's interested in multiplying and fractions. Does anyone know of any good resources?

M
    M
    What about using a computer program? There are online programs such as ALEKS that are fairly inexpensive that use AI to determine when a subject is mastered - hence eliminating useless repetition.

My son just used regular software like Cluefinders 3rd grade to learn and move further in math. Although - it covers more than just math. We often had little short lessons in math and he would push as far as that understanding took him in the game, then he would ask another question and we would repeat the process.

Not too many books written for young kids with the intention of young kids reading them and teaching themselves math. Maybe a math workbook - with permission to only do the pages he wants to do?

Mary
    J
    Jill Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks!

I've been focused on books because that's what he asked for, but a computer program is a great idea. I actually got him a multiplication workbook last week. I sat down to do the first couple lessons that explained the concept of multiplication. He explained it to me before I got started and then flipped to the middle and filled out about 1/2 of the 10x10 multiplication table. (I'm not sure when he learned to multiply. I think I mentioned the basic principle of repeated addition a couple months ago.)

He quit because he got tired of writing. I could see the numbers getting sloppier and sloppier before he gave up. A computer program would be a great solution because he wouldn't have to write as much. Writing is an ongoing issue for him because he is only 6 years old. He can't write well enough to express the ideas he is capable of understanding and all to often books that interest him are written for a much older child. The math workbook is a good example of that. The amount of space provided for each answer is small compared to the size of his handwriting.

Jill

D
    D
    I completely agree with mayreeh.

Educational computer games were my children�s favorite toys when they were 4-8 years old. Some titles they especially liked when they were younger are Math Blaster, Clue Finders and Zoombinis. All of these titles incorporate math concepts with game play.

H
    H
    Educational computer software worked great for our daughter and we used math workbooks to back it all up. Numbers are still one of her favorites. She's just eleven, in 7th grade and taking Algebra 1 and is excited to be take geometry this fall in eighth grade. We found that the software helped her have fun with numbers. Her favorite was cluefinders.

J
    Jill Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I am still going shopping for software this weekend, but we have a book!

I was doing some volunteer work for my son's teacher yesterday, and mentioned that I had not heard back from the school's TAG person about my request for math resources. The school has little in the way of TAG resources until 3rd grade, and although my son's teacher is not trained to work with gifted children, she is a kind, generous person who has made a real effort this year to keep him engaged. She found an out-of-adoption 4th grade text and told me that we could keep it.

You should have seen his face when I gave him the math book and told him that it was his to keep. His whole face lit up, he bounced, and started to chant "my math book" in a silly, squeaky voice he uses when he's really excited. He looked through it for a minute and then told me that he was going to do one page every school day and 3 pages every day on the weekends and in the summer. I was kind of busy when we got home, but he went straight to the table and started the book. About 20 minutes later he came to show me, and explained very seriously that the first lesson was just a "talking lesson" so he was working on the next one too. smile

The text is very small, and he is trying to write his answers in the book. I think I am going to photocopy the lessons and blow them to about twice their original size. He is SO excited, and I don't want him to run out of steam just trying to copy the problems or write cramped little answers in the text book.

Jill

D
    D
    T.J. Maxx and Marshalls are good places to look for educational software at discounted prices. They may be last year's version, but will be brand new to your son.

M
    M
    There are some online stores for software at reduced prices. The site I used to use is apparently out of business though - as I was looking for the link and found it didn't bring up what I expected....

Best Buy and Office Max sometimes have good prices too.

Carmen Sandiego Math Detective was a big hit for DS - although I think his version was old and wouldn't run under XP.

There is also a ClueFInders math program.

Mary

Mary
    L
    L
    Three books that my son read are a "Gebra named Al", "G is for Googol" by David M.Schwartz and "The Number Devil". These are fiction books which present various mathematical lessons/information in a fun way. My son loved them.

Lynne

It sounds like your son and my daughter are about at the same math level. She is also 6 and she loves Cluefinder. It is her favorite computer game series. Recently, we purchased a 2 game package (3rd & 4th grade levels) at Best Buy for $20. It came with a set of fraction flashcards which led us to a discussion of reducing fractions.

I am also purchasing a subscription to Larson Math for my daughter to work on this summer. It is about $30/year. (much less than some of the other math curriculums). It is not as much fun as the computer games, but my daughter still enjoys using it. In addition, Larson Math is used at my daughter's school. I am hoping that she will be able to use it for math next year rather than doing 2nd grade math with her class.

Summer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM