Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #11210 03/11/08 01:38 PM
    OP Offline
    Hello you friendly, helpful, wonderful bunch,

I'm really new to all of this, and don't know where to go to find out about the usual "individual" IQ tests that are administered to kids.

My DD is in 2nd grade and was identified via OLSAT to move on for individual screening w/ the school district psychologist.

Are there certain types of tests that might be used, and if so, where can I get the best information on them?

I'm most intersted to begin to identify her more unique, specific strengths so we can do 'afterschooling," and wondered if particular IQ tests varied...

I don't mean for any of you to have to go through expalining details about the tests (you all seem to know so much!) but if you could point me in a direction, thank you!

(Also, I will be asking the school, though I'm not sure if they disclose that?)

Thanks!

OliEli's Mom
    You can also do a search on the Davidson website, though the info there is much more basic than what you'll find on Hoagies. but if I just can't remember what a test's intials stand for or what age it tests, I find that the Davidson site is usually more convenient.

I just click on the link to the left of the page and type in the "alphabet soup" on the search line.

But if you want details--even including recommended test administrators in your state!--Hoagies is totally the spot for you! smile

Kriston
    Welcome OliEli's Mom,
    I think it's great that you are thinking about afterschooling - but don't wait for any scores - just tell DD how much time you have to work with her, and ask her what she would like to learn! Yippee!

Then come back here for ideas on how to do the various stuff.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Hi,

Our Elementary SchoolGuidance Counselor told me that the District Psychologist will use Stanford-Binet when testing... 2nd-graders who've been identified by OLSAT are not being individually screened till the beginning of next year (3rd grade is when the gifted "pull-out" program officially begins)...

So, we have some time to relax, try some projects at home, and
    become more educated about GT advocacy... Apparently in our district it's best to be identified early because it becomes more difficult as they get older (according to my neighbor whose daughter went through the program).

My neighbor said the best thing about participating in the GT program here was being able to have a say in the IEP (that the IEP became more useful as her daughter got older, and having unput was important...)

All for now,
    thanks for suggestions,

OliEli's Mom

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM