Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Since 'Neato conjured me up about homeschooling, I'll just pop in to say hi. If you have any questions about how it works, let me know. I'm not one to try to persuade people to HS--heck, a year ago, I'd have laughed if you had told me I'd be called "the resident expert in HSing"! But I'm happy to try to answer questions about it if you do consider HSing. It's been good for my DS6.

(And BTW, I think Lorel deserves the title of "the resident expert in HSing" far more than I do! I'm just a newbie. A chatty, helpful newbie, sure, but a newbie nontheless... She's a very helpful pro!)

Anyway, I don't have any major suggestions beyond what has already been offered to you. Most important, I think, is Ania's advice to take it one year (or less, even!) at a time. Your DD is happy and challenged now? Great! This year is working.

Now start getting your ducks in a row for 1st grade, which is when the wheels fall off for a lot of HG+ kids (and it sounds like your daughter might well be one of those!).

In my experience, the teacher matters more than anything else. A lousy teacher can ruin the best of programs, and a teacher who "gets" your child and wants her to learn can turn a crummy situation into a joy for your child.

I'm sorry about the dumb testing. Keep your chin up! smile

Kriston
    A
    AmyEJ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks again, everyone, for the great advice. I knew this was the right place! It's not something I can talk about with even my closest friends so I was feeling a bit alone. It's just a very touchy subject.

And pinkpanther, thanks so much for sharing about your daughter. How frustrating! I'm so sorry that she's miserable, and I hope you are able to make progress as you push for more. I certainly know I'm not alone in this, which is a fact that's even more infuriating. I just think about how many kids are left out; it makes me shudder.

We'll definitely stay on top of things, and I guess we'll proceed with the district appeal. Now if I could just figure out how to better deal with many of her overexcitabilities . . . . I guess that's another thread. laugh

If you figure out the solution to that, please let me know! My DS3.5 is Mr. Excessive Excitability! We're not sure if he's as GT as DS6.5, but if his overexcitabilities are an indication, the kid must be a GENIUS!

<exhausted sigh>

Kriston
    P.S. We're all with you on the "can't talk to others" about our kids. This is *definitely* the right place for you if you feel that way! smile

Kriston
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Oh, I have one who's "PG" in OE's alone as well, LOL! And it's NOT my Davidson kid.

Ha! My PG OE child about drove me over the edge this afternoon. Screaming and crying about everthing and anything. I swear she thinks of the rest of us as her personal servants. crazy

Oh, that's my DS3, to a tee. DS6 said "please" and "thank you" almost from the moment he could say "dada." But DS3 orders us around like he owns us.

And the tears! OMG! The tears! Over everything, over nothing...

Doesn't the kid know I'm an INTJ? What does he expect from me?

wink

Kriston
    I'm glad you caught my assist there, Dottie. That was totally for you! grin

Kriston
    K
    K
    Ha! I'm right there with you Kriston. I'm an INFJ, but I'm borderline on the I and the F. This is one of those cases where my "T" definitely kicks in.

I cannot conjure up the slightest sympathy for a 10 minute dramatic episode over DD's brother touching her doll (by accident) or detecting skim milk rather than 2% from a 10 feet range. Ugh!

LOL! Ah, don't get me started! When DS3 asks for a time machine so he can go back and have OJ for breakfast-past (because having it for lunch won't do), it's BAD!

I do hate me some rampant emotionalism! cry eek mad

Kriston
    But did she ask for a time machine? I mean, that's the real question, isn't it?

(LOL!)

Kriston
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM