Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    So I thought and hopefully its allowed, I would start a brag thread for the parenting/advocating accomplishments of people involved with the kids that this board refers to. I am not thinking about what the kids themselves do but what we as parents/caregivers/advocates do whether it is successful or not. So I will start...

I have worked through the summer to get my DD13 into a university level class. Her SAT scores were 570 verbal and 550 math. The local school district has a policy that she can only take high school level courses in Math and a foreign language. They were pretty adamant and not willing to look at the possibility even though she attends a school that is 7-12 and it would not mean a building change! The first university we approached, the instructors were very open to accepting her into their classes, but the University had a policy that only 9th graders and higher could attend, regardless of age. However, the Astronomy professor has created a project for her to do and we are advocating for that to be a science course for her this semester. The second university made her take a writing test which she passed and so she is enrolled in a Freshman English class. Her school courses for this semester seem like the best we have ever done in trying to meet her educational needs! I am proud of the work that I have done to create this. I do not know IRL another parent of a 13 or 14 year old who has their child enrolled in a university class or helped to create a science project for their kiddo in a planterium. I am nervous that I have done the wrong thing and will regret it at the end of the term....this forum is the only place I know that other parents are facing some strange looks from peers in regards to educational choices for their kids. So I am looking and hoping for a pat on the back for what I have done. And a place others can come and share the hard, bizarre, stressful, successful and unsuccessful attempts for advocacy and parenting of our beautiful children.

I think this is a terrific idea. smile

So far, I haven't been in an advocating situation (DS is just now in preschool), but will be reading what others post for my own information down the line.

Originally Posted by flower
    I am proud of the work that I have done to create this. I do not know IRL another parent of a 13 or 14 year old who has their child enrolled in a university class....

You should be proud.

Recently, my SIL discovered just "how smart" our 4.6 year old is when she was present during a "babysitting" job my 10 year old niece was performing. She seemed excited (not like her at ALL) and related a tidbit of information to me. She is taking some courses at the local community college and said that there is a woman there who "attends to her two children" in the class. The kids are taking the class, not her. My SIL said the one child is about 12 and the other about 10.

So you're not alone in the trek through the college jungle. Look for the machete path!

Looking around for "extreme" puzzles, I came across a website called, ExtremeIntellect.com.

They have a tab called, Kids in College.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM