Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 125 of 268 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 267 268
    DD9 is the ultimate end-of-the-driveway salesperson. Each weekend, she and her friends set up a different stand: lemonade, orange juice, car washes, etc. The sign and stand go up first, and then they come running in the house in a panic looking for supplies when the customers start. (Organization is a work in progress around here). The item of today was ice cream sundaes (we, of course, have no ice cream in our house... a minor detail). They came in with their sign of menu toppings, looking for tape. I glanced at it and nearly aspirated my coffee. God love her, really, I know she struggles with writing and we are in the process of investigating for stealth dyslexia, but there was no way I could let her put up a sign offering chocolate sperm sundaes!!! (I think she meant supreme?)

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    To be perfectly honest I think this clicked because I've been letting him watch streaming episodes of Word World on my weekly drop-dead work deadline day. (Where's the embarrassed smiley?) We really don't do TV as a general rule.

I've learned TV is a cold media for learning but when used with good progamming I think it's great. My kids learned alot about Science and Nature from TV and Videos.

F
    F
    ahahah now THAT is funny smile

O
    O
    Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    DD9 but there was no way I could let her put up a sign offering chocolate sperm sundaes!!! (I think she meant supreme?)

That's a great story!

F
    F
    DD13 refused to take the US History course she was first enrolled in due to the biased approach of the teacher. She said that the teacher would only allow positive perspectives of the United States. She advocated herself out of the class into a painting class.

Also she passed the writing test and will be taking her first university level English class.

S
    S
    SOOO funny about sperm sundaes! DD6 came home from school on the seceond day of first grade with a book she stapled together..She wanted to make a signature book for her friends to sign...it says on the cover...."Sin Book." I had to have her explain that one!

Mr W (3.5Y) is into writing stuff down.

This weekend he trapped me on the couch with his notebook and pen and wanted me to write out some "Really big words" so he could practice writing them.

We started with "House" and "Football" and ended up somewhere near "Grilled Cheese Sandwich" and "Automatically" all of which he faithfully wrote down.

Spelling is a big deal with him. He wants to learn to spell the word before he "reads" it.

"Spelling is a critical skill for success, Daddy, and I must master it."

LOL

He is also into writing out "words" and asking me what they mean. Sometimes they are nonsense, but other times they are real words.

F
    F
    Ds is in kinder. His assignment was to draw a picure and write a story about a pumpkin, a bat and the moon (picture not included). Here is his story (hope this works)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/franniesmomma/EJsstory101811.jpg

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 10/18/11 02:32 PM. Reason: it didn't work lol
    smile Very cool!

DD8.5 has been going to high school ceramics after school club/open studio at the school I teach at this year. Her progress has been amazing, and just this week the teacher told her that she would like her to be part of a 2 person art show after Christmas! smile
    (The other person in the show is a grandmother of a student who has fallen in love with art since her granddaughter started bringing home art homework.) The teacher has been great about nurturing DD's artistic talents and honestly thinks her talents are amazing.
    DD is so excited she can hardly contain herself. She will have to write an artist's statement for the show and a little piece about each selection in the show.
    (If I knew how to, I would post some of her work here, but I don't know how to do that yet. When I do, I will share.)

Page 125 of 268 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM