Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    The WISC does have 10 parts, but I believe the SB-5 does as well. Ask him if he started the test making block copies from pictures using red and white blocks (Block Design). Most kids will remember that subtest, and it's first on the WISC-IV.

Hopefully you'll get the results quickly!

Our school counselor would not be qualified to give this test. I'm not sure what the requirements are, but something high up in the "psychology" field.

He was telling me about doing something with blocks. I was driving and he was in the back seat so I didn't get a good idea of what he did.
    The counselor had said he would do the test next week and tabulate the results over the weekend and get back with me. I think he took a look at the calendar and decided to speed it up if possible. He'll be at school next week, but then he has spring break for a week and the week after that, our school has a week of spring break. So, I'm guessing we'll get the results next week after GS completes the test, or in April when everyone is back from spring breaks.

OP Offline
    Well, today the student counselor told GS8 that he would not be finishing the test, that he was only supposed to give IQ tests to kids who are struggling in school. That sounds odd to me, I'm guessing that since he doesn't have the PHD in his hand then he probably wouldn't be allowed to officially give the test. I'll contact him in a couple days.

So, I'm back to my original plan of doing the EXPLORE in Jan and decide if it's worth pursuing an IQ test then.

Oh, I'm sorry OHG! That's a shame. It sounded like such a good opportunity.

How do you feel about the change of plans? Is this a minor bump in the road or a major issue for you?

Kriston
    K
    K
    How disappointing! frown I was thinking about how lucky your grandson was and they robbed you.

OP Offline
    Very minor bump in the road. I would have appreciated saving the bucks that an IQ test will cost, but if the test results from the student counselor wouldn't be accepted as valid, I'm glad he stopped.

I'm fine with this, I'm not sure we'd be doing anything differently for the rest of this year regardless of what the test results would have been.

Good for you OHG. This is somewhat confusing and frustrating for you I'm sure. You have great perspective on it. If you are interested in testing, I would encourage you to pursue it if it's an option.
    For a couple of reasons.
    First, the kids seem to LOVE the testing, they think it's really fun!
    Also, it's helped me really put into perspective what my kids need in terms or education.
    Even if you aren't planning to do anything differently this year.
    Knowing the girls capabilities has helped me provide so many fun and appropriate after school activitites. I'm embarrased to say I wouldn't have thought of doing so otherwise.
    Of course, it seems pretty clear you are aware of DGS's capabilities anyhow!

Incog

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM