Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 123 of 268 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 267 268
    J
    J
    DS6 can correctly label the 50 states on a blank map.
    His primary interest has been the human body now for months. He is finally switching over to something else, chemistry. He said last night he wanted to memorize the Periodic table of Elements. He read a book on it last night, and by this morning was able to explain to me how the table is set up and what the numbers mean. I am curious to see if he stays interested in chemistry long enough to really get into it.

DS4 can now read the Magic School Bus books independently. smile

JT
    DS6, DS5, DD3
    U
    U
    Her new reading matter also prompted this non sequitur comment to my husband, which bewildered him:

"Dada, I'm really glad you don't have to go fight in the Civil War."

Ha! Really, though, I'd forgotten what a "moral virtues" book Little Women is. There's a lot in it about pulling your weight, helping others, and exercising self-control. I'm actually pleased as punch to have that delivered to her in palatable fiction form. We aren't religious and sometimes I worry that we are not doing our job re "character education" and that kind of thing.

D
    D
    We just returned from a trip to Ireland so two of my kids (dd9 and ds13) could compete with their respective instruments in the All Ireland music competitions (kids from around the world and from all the counties in Ireland must qualify in their areas then get to compete at the All Ireland).

My dd9 has been the MidAtlantic under 12 fiddle champion every year since she was 6 years old so has gone to Ireland for this event 3 times. Her brother competed in America for the first time this year in accompaniment on his guitar and qualified by placing 2nd.

They did not place in Ireland but being one of the top 14 kids on your instrument in Irish music is, in itself, a huge accomplishment. My dd has been the youngest to compete in her age group at the All Ireland every year and the only child competing on a fractional size fiddle. She plays just as well or better than all those kids up to 3.5 years older than her. Many people felt she did not get a fair shake either due to size or political reasons but both kids are ready to go back and try again next year. I am very proud of their determination and hard work.

Donna, mom to ds15, ds13, and dd9.

www.ptmom.blogspot.com
    *like* smile

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DD, 7.5, is reading Little Women. She saw a play version this summer and has been asking to read it--I finally remembered that I do have a copy. I thought for sure that she would put it down right away, but no. She read some aloud to me today for school (she has to read aloud for homework) and I found that it is actually a lot more age-appropriate and engaging than I remembered, but still, it's quite the grown-up tome for a second-grader.

DD9 read Little Women last year and loved it. She enjoys historical novels better than any others. What a great book, I remember reading it three or four times when I was younger!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    F
    F
    I do not think this is necessarily a brag...but it made me laugh. DD2 yrs 10 months at the time had to accompany me to buy a swimsuit as we were traveling and mine spontaneously fell apart. Swimsuit shopping is the worse and I had my fair share in the changing room. She had one that she was trying to put on. She found the white large device that sounds an alarm as you walk out the door. She states, "Look mom its a white blood cell eating some bacteria" I decided not to buy that one!

F
    F
    ds5 read his first (short) chapter book last night/this morning. It is a series call Fly Guy. He loved the story and could't stop reading it!. Today we are at the library and picked out 5 more books from the series!

M
    M
    DD8 loved Fly Guy. That was the first series she willing read all on her own.

D
    D
    We loved fly guy.

DS6 is reading Mary Pope Osborne's "Stories from the Odyssey." 5th grade-ish reading level, and really enjoying. Love Magic Tree House too, and still reading them, but really too easy for him now.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    ds5 read his first (short) chapter book last night/this morning. It is a series call Fly Guy. He loved the story and could't stop reading it!. Today we are at the library and picked out 5 more books from the series!

Is that by Ted Arnold?

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Page 123 of 268 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM