Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    About the 'boilerplate' list:

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm guessing 'tortuous' is a misspelling of 'tortious', given the tenor of the rest of the list.

This is a tough crowd, no doubt. I actually like that curmudgeonly wisdom flung so freely around here. My favorite, if it matters, is the off-topic conversations. I'm not the only one because people make "thought" threads, obviously just reaching out for such conversations. Some of the better ones happen spontaneously.
    I guess what's on the table is "our" reputation. I would be all free and hippy-zippy and say "you be you, let me be me.". The tolerance creed. That's however humanistic and egotistical. I don't like the idea of more rules and strictness. I think having a "support only" button or a "stay on topic" smilycon would let sensitive posters make their threads without driving the rest of us into the closet who like to converse naturally, rather than act like the forum is a database of co-written news articles than need to be informative and stay in topic. I could adjust, if that's what this is, though.

The big issue is the definition of spam. If lucounu or other forumfly's could be given moderator privileges and be trusted to only ever use them to delete the Luie vatton handbag ads that would take a chore off of the host's hand. Let me think more about the members linking thing. I have a personal opinion answer "in the cloud", I just haven't materialized it into a solid visible line yet.

I can't believe Dottie's gone. That just lowered the quality of the board. She provided quite a service and free of charge and she's owed such a debt of gratitude. That was a valuable and irreplaceable service.

Eta: forumfly, cheesy attempt at humor. Like a barfly or a "regular".

Last edited by La Texican; 07/29/11 05:37 PM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    I can't believe Dottie's gone. That just lowered the quality of the board. She provided quite a service and free of charge and she's owed such a debt of gratitude. That was a valuable and irreplaceable service.

Wow, I step away from the computer for a while and something big always happens. Where is Dottie? I just saw her post not to long ago.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Part of that is that if you want to be somewhere were people will only agree with you, you're in the wrong place. So be it.

I agree. Absolutely, completely. And thank you for saying it so well.

Originally Posted by La Texican
    I don't like the idea of more rules and strictness. ...[smilicons would] let sensitive posters make their threads without driving the rest of us into the closet who like to converse naturally, rather than act like the forum is a database of co-written news articles than need to be informative and stay in topic.

Ditto.

Val

Last edited by Val; 07/29/11 07:41 PM.
    C
    C
    Grinity, I have to ask -- is there something prompting this? Has there been discussion that something isn't working here or do the admins want to implement some new rules for other reasons?

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Grinity, I have to ask -- is there something prompting this? Has there been discussion that something isn't working here or do the admins want to implement some new rules for other reasons?

I'm guessing it may have something to do with Mark stepping in to end a thread recently? Perhaps I'm wrong.

I'm with ColinsMum for the most part. Love this forum but run away from time to time to "detox" from the wealth of info (find it overwhelming sometimes to read messages continuously without a break; refering to gifted forums in general here) and love coming back to find it just the way it was.

The one bit I would like to add is to not have a bunch of personal blog links in the body of the post. Wouldn't mind a short blog mention in the signature (e.g. how yahoo group members do it).

Thanks for asking the qn Grinity!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by LDmom
    I'm guessing it may have something to do with Mark stepping in to end a thread recently?
    I always miss those things!

...and love coming back to find it just the way it was.
    Just realized it isn't the way it was with Dottie gone. Sob. Fingers crossed that Grin won't leave us...at least for the near future. Apologies for this post...entirely off-topic!

A
    A
    ...and love coming back to find it just the way it was.
    Just realized it isn't the way it was with Dottie gone. Sob. Fingers crossed that Grin won't leave us...at least for the near future. Apologies for this post...entirely off-topic!

Proposed forum rule: Beloved forum members may not leave without prior permission of the community...;)

I second the "Grin, don't leave us!" sentiment.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM