Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Ann Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    So my question is, how has your experience 'growing up gifted' been useful in your current parenting challenge, and where did it cause problems, where do you fear that it will cause more problems in the future?

I worry that DS will get DH and my depression along with the GTness. If he does, I�d like to be able to identify it early on and get him help ASAP. The depression exacerbated problems with my perfectionism. One bad grade turned into more bad grades, b/c if I couldn�t do it well I didn�t want to do it at all. School counselors and teachers thought I wasn�t challenged enough and was being lazy. What I actually needed was therapy.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Srry I missed this for so long Ann,but I can reccomend any book by Martin Seligman, but particularly "The optomistic child." Have you read it?

Of course my answer is to that the BEST way to fight perfectionsim in children is to Make surE that they spend a good deal of their learning time at their 'readiness level.' And of course how you treat them makes some difference as well. Prasing traits that they have some control over is the name of the game, and intercepting those comments on the street if possible.

Good luck,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by elh0706
    In your situation, If your schedules allow, maybe try to get involved in the reading is fundamental program or something similar. It is a great program and also lets you experience the difficulties that some children have with learning to understand the concepts of reading. Big Brothers/Big Sisters might also be a possibility.

Hi Aimee, welcome!
    I think that the above idea is wonderful, although it still might not quite do the trick, so I think that you should look for opportunities when DH gets judgemental at YOU, and figure out how to break through his ODP (other directed perfectionism) ASAP. Some people just don't realize that everyone isn't as they are - and are continually dissapointed. In the adult world, experience in some narrow little area counts for so much that I think it's easy to assume that all competent-at-their-jobs people are 'the same.'

Well good luck, and try Greenspan's book, "Freeing our families from perfectionism."

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Ann Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Srry I missed this for so long Ann,but I can reccomend any book by Martin Seligman, but particularly "The optomistic child." Have you read it?

Of course my answer is to that the BEST way to fight perfectionsim in children is to Make surE that they spend a good deal of their learning time at their 'readiness level.' And of course how you treat them makes some difference as well. Prasing traits that they have some control over is the name of the game, and intercepting those comments on the street if possible.

Good luck,
    Grinity

I haven't read it. I'll pick it up. Thanks for your insight and support Grinity. I appreciate it. ((hugs))

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM