Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #1102 04/28/06 05:40 AM
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My son is going to spend two weeks this summer at the Rocky Mountain Talent Search Summer Institute in Denver, Colorado. Is anyone familiar with this program? Any thoughts?

#1103 05/04/06 01:19 AM
    Cool, My son is almost 10, and loved his gifted day camp last summer. I think yours will have a good time.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #1104 05/17/06 01:46 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    My son is also going to the Rocky Mountain Summer Institute (he's in the July session). We haven't done this before, but I am hopeful it will be an eye-opening experience--college campus, very bright kids, challenging classes. I hope he'll love it and want to do other talent search summer programs in future summers (Duke, Johns Hopkins, etc.) because literature says some kids "live" for these few weeks. Finally, to be among real peers and not feel so weird to be smart. That's what I'm hoping...

#1105 07/05/06 05:01 AM
    S
    S
    So, how was it? Did your son like it?

Our kids (8&9) are attending a Summer Institute for the Gifted in Las Vegas this summer for three weeks. They are in week two and loving it!

My husband and I have heard of the Talent Search in Denver, and would be very interested to know what you thought about it.

#1106 07/05/06 05:52 AM
    M
    M
    My daughter is attending Johns Hopkins CTY and not loving it. Doesn't seem to be dynamic or different or challenging enough. Anyone else experiencing this?

Mom to two gifted girls
    #1107 07/07/06 08:48 AM
    J
    J
    I have heard several negative things about the summer CTY before, but they had to do with behavior of kids/responses of staff to same, not so much about the academic quality. (I did hear one thing once re: there seemed to be an awful lot of down/fluff time, but it was a vague comment - I don't know specifics.)

Anyone in New England: experiences good/bad with SIG? Or Talcott Mt?

Also anyone in New England, if you happen to be considering KAST at the U. of CT., let me warn you off - the admin. is *extremely* hostile to PG kids and their families - to the extent of being incredibly unprofessional. (I'll skip the details unless you want them.) This does not extend to those instructors who are U. staff, but I still would recommend staying away - I'm happy to provide more details if anyone wants. Also, we've experienced 5 or 6 different modules, and the only one of any intellectual quality is archeology - the rest are at an early elementary level, not the 5th-10th grade that is stated.

Any other ideas for excellent, high-school or college level programs (for younger students) in New England?

#1108 07/07/06 09:23 AM
    K
    K
    "Any other ideas for excellent, high-school or college level programs (for younger students) in New England?"

I'd love to know the same thing. SIG day programs aren't really in driving distance for me (because I have 1 year old twins who wouldn't appreciate 4 hours a day in the car!). The thing is... from the course descriptions, if sounds like my 9 year old DS would need to be skipped quite a few grades (maybe less than in public school, but definitely at least a few) and although they seemed open to that SIG seemed open to that idea for the day program, I don't think I'd be comfortable letting him skip several grades in a RESIDENTIAL setting. I'm not sure how it would work for a PG kid, but although I'm comfortable with him going to high school, I wouldn't be comfortable having him live and sleep in a dorm with high schoolers.

We have yet to find a camp that seems appropriate. We did apply for a scholarship to the Summer Explorations program, because we figured if we couldn't find a good fit in a "gifted" camp at least this would be a fun alternative, because they mix up hands on academic stuff with regular fun camp stuff. However, he didn't recieve a scholarship... and the lady actually called me to tell me that the reason why they decided not to give him one was because his application was "too strong" - they were afraid that he was "too gifted" and, having been accelerated so much in school, would probably not benefit from the program as much as a kid for whom the academic components would be challenging. Anyway, if we could have afforded the full cost, that's where we would have sent him:-)

#1109 07/07/06 09:27 AM
    K
    K
    OK, that post was full of typos... I'm sorry, I need to make better use of that "preview post" ****on:-)

#1110 07/10/06 05:06 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I have made quite a study of gifted summer camps for my sons who range from almost 12 to almost 8. I believe that until kids are ready for a residential program, stick to local opportunities (no driving 4 hrs!) that might not even have to do with academics. Sports camps, art camps, theater auditions, museums, day camps for cub scouts, etc. Even in my small town in the middle of nowhere there seem to be too many possibilities to take advantage of. For instance, my 8 yr old PG son who is so excited to learn about everything was delighted to do cub scout day camp, swim lessons, planetarium camp, and golf. Now he's at his first residential camp for 6 nights, which is not academically-oriented. At home we have done some art projects, science experiments and lots of reading. My 10 yr old enjoys his "down-time" between residential camps that are with age-mates and are mostly water sports. I just sent my almost 12 yr old off to RMTS (Rocky Mt Talent Search) Summer Institute at the Univ of Denver yesterday. He'll be there for 3 weeks. There are 91 residential students and 77 commuters in the second session. The campus is lovely and the staff appears very enthusiastic and safety-conscious, so we'll see how that works. I do believe in keeping them busy/occupied/stimulated, but it can also be physical exertion rather than mental, or just new and interesting experiences, depending on what's available.

#1111 07/13/06 12:45 AM
    SIG day programs only go up to "6th Grade" so I don't think they are going to fly for you Katie B. DS9 is so looking forward to being with "kids who like to learn." I'm hoping that will be enough for this summer, but I'm not confident. Next summer I think DH will be able to consious overnight camp. Any ideas for a "turning 11 boy's first overnight camp in the North East?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM