Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 209 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
    OP Offline
    Val...

Ultramarina is NOT the one who PM'd me. I think you misread that statement of hers. She was saying she was *one* of those early on in this post that said it could be misunderstood.

I deliberately didn't mention who PM'd me because that is neither here-nor-there as far as I am concerned.

I have spoken with her in more PM's and she in no way has made me feel like her intentions were other than to save me some grief!

Just to be clear...the original PM to me was one in good-faith, imo.

Val Offline
    Sorry Ultramarina! My bad.

U
    U
    I see how it could have been misread--I edited. No, I did not send the PM. I felt the sig could have been seen as sort of combative or slightly "off," but it would never have risen to the level of sending a PM to someone about it.

Val, I'd appreciate an edit of your post where I am part of the dystopian future. wink

Last edited by ultramarina; 08/24/11 02:05 PM. Reason: because I am a compulsive editor
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I'd appreciate an edit of your post where I am part of the dystopian future. wink

Revisionist history! The forum is growing more Orwellian by the moment!

Originally Posted by Ametrine
    La Texican..

I think you have a very good topic for a dedicated post.

When you're able, I'd love to comment in that.

K. I did.
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted..../110186/Hothouse_Spinoff.html#Post110186

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Val Offline
    I'd appreciate an edit of your post where I am part of the dystopian future. wink

Sure. smile I know my language was really strong, but think a strong response is needed in some cases. I really, really don't like censorship, especially when it comes in a sugar-coated form.

Originally Posted by aculady

:-P

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by aculady

LoL~

I'm glad to see that humor is seen in this quagmire I started.

*raises hand*...George fan, here!

A
    A
    I'm of the opinion that a non-gifted child can have the same instruction as a gifted child and the non-gifted child will learn, yet not to the extent and breadth that the gifted child will take that instruction.

That was said perfectly.

Texican,
    We aren't disagreeing! I don't think it's hothousing to teach a child that is demanding to be taught no matter how young they are. I'm all for child-led activities! If a 3-year old has the mind of a 7-year old, why shouldn't he be exposed to similar things? How smart of the child to get the parents to teach him!

Also, I don't mean to imply that a gifted child with spontaneous learning is better than a child that is helped along the way. I don't buy into the belief that children exist in a hierarchy (gifted or not, spontaneous or not).

It's only that I've noticed some comments on this forum that suggest spontaneous learning doesn't happen--because it does. Even neglected children learn to walk. I find that when others discount my reality, it makes me wonder at their motives. I've made the assumption that it must be based on a belief system like I've described. Obviously, I could be wrong, and it may due to an inability to accept experiences outside of their own.

Obviously, that's my issue, but I hate to be misunderstood. smile

A
    A
    Val,

I'm glad the world has people like you--strong, passionate and sensitive to injustice.

What a great discussion this was. You all gave me lots to think about. Thanks!

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by annette
    I'm of the opinion that a non-gifted child can have the same instruction as a gifted child and the non-gifted child will learn, yet not to the extent and breadth that the gifted child will take that instruction.

That was said perfectly.

Thanks. It's hard to keep my train of thought on the track sometimes.

Also, I don't mean to imply that a gifted child with spontaneous learning is better than a child that is helped along the way. I don't buy into the belief that children exist in a hierarchy (gifted or not, spontaneous or not).

It's only that I've noticed some comments on this forum that suggest spontaneous learning doesn't happen--because it does. Even neglected children learn to walk. I find that when others discount my reality, it makes me wonder at their motives. I've made the assumption that it must be based on a belief system like I've described. Obviously, I could be wrong, and it may due to an inability to accept experiences outside of their own.

I've noticed the spontaneous learning on my son's part. It usually seems to happen overnight. Literally. He will wake up in the morning and it's like he had a "brain infusion" or something.

LoL...my son is reading this as I type and asking if I'm talking about him. "Are you talking about me on there, mom? Are you?" LoL

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM