Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
    DS8 will be in 3rd in an accelerated program like AntsyPantsy's DD.

We did not get the teacher we requested but she has allowed us to have a meeting with her next week before school starts. We hope to get everything started on a good note!

DS is very excited for school to start. He said he had "too much vacation" this year. (5 weeks of academic summer camps were insufficient of course!)

N
    N
    Ds8 will start 3rd grade on the 22nd. We should find out on Tuesday (16th) what class he is in - as of a couple of days ago, the teachers still didn't have their classlists frown This is worrying, as he is accelerated to 4th in math - the past 2 years his teachers have arranged their schedules so that they did math at the same time, so he didn't miss out on anything else. We'll see what happens ! One of the 3rd grade teachers has her daughter starting at my daycare next week, so it should be interesting if he winds up being in her class wink

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I hate working. I am so ready to see how DS7.5's day went. DD too!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Apparently day 1 was a complete success. He loves his teacher. They did so much work his day went by quickly (his words). And he cannot wait to start Target next week.

Yay.

Now to keep my fingers crossed he is challenged enough.

F
    F
    We don't start until next Wednesday. BUT (and a big but), they are doing the reading testing this week (yippee not wasting class time) and her teacher confirmed dd7 will get math accelerated to third !!!!!!

N
    N
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    I hate working. I am so ready to see how DS7.5's day went. DD too!

LOL - I always take the first day of school off, so I can be there as soon as he walks out the door at school, and hear all about it. On a normal day, he gets in just as the daycare kiddos are getting up from their nap, so not much time to talk !

Glad he had a great day and was kept busy - a great start smile

I
    I
    Hi all!

I really enjoyed being part of this thread last year.

DD7 will start 2nd in a private gifted school. The school prides itself on all kids working at least one academic year ahead (and it does seem to be true when compared to public schools in our area). She is also young for her grade (early summer birthday). But I still feel nervous every fall about whether she will be academically challenged enough.

Last year proved to be a big year of social growth (with some emotional bumps and bruises that went along with it). Who knows what this year will bring!

Hope everyone's year gets off to a successful start!

N
    N
    Well we "met" his 3rd grade teacher at Open House this evening - and it is indeed the mom of my newest daycare girl :)This should prove interesting ! He also met his 4th grade math teacher, who will be his first male teacher smile The two teachers will be getting together with the principal to discuss their schedules and figuring out how to co-ordinate them to ds doesn't miss anything. It sounds like the biggest conflict would be 3rd grade reading - which we all agreed he could manage to miss without any ill effects smile So - school starts next week - yeah !

A
    A
    we meet the teachers tomorrow. DD found out a friend will be in the same class so she is excited about that.

I have to talk to the teacher about her pencil grips, I want to make sure she always has one to use and that they don't vanish! Anyone ever use the Grotto Grips? Best one we've found for DD but at 3/$10 they are pricier than most and I have to order them online.

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    We may be doing a last minute switch to the gifted magnet school in our district. I just discovered that their new principal "gets it" and the 3rd grade class will have 10 gifted kids mixed with proficient and high-achieving students. When we took a tour there last year, we found a 2nd/3rd grade combo class with an overwhelmed teacher who had the full spectrum of kids including a handful of gifted kids and even some ESL students.

Given the fact that DD's current school's principal refuses to cluster gifted kids in order to ensure that every teacher has the same mix of students, it seems like a no-brainer. At least it will increase DD's odds of finding some peers, and who knows, maybe the more competitive environment will inspire her to engage her brain at school.

Update: Today (8/23) we decided to move DD to the new school that is more gifted-friendly. I confirmed that nothing is changing at her beloved home school. I sure hate to take her away from what is familiar but this is for the best for now.

Last edited by Pru; 08/23/11 03:13 PM. Reason: Added new item to bottom
    Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM