Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
    #109087 08/10/11 10:59 AM
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Monday starts the school year for DS7.5 who will be in 3rd (and DD5.5 in K). We find out who he has, his Target (ALP) teacher as well as a possible math acceleration.

F
    F
    DD 7 starts second grade on the 24th and ds starts kinder on the 29th

added... dd is accelerated to third for math (+1) and ds will be accelerated to first and possibly second for math (+1 or +2).

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 08/10/11 12:22 PM. Reason: more info
    C
    C
    I'm pretty new here, I have 3 kids DS 6 will start in a 2nd/3rd multi age class on Monday. DS 4 is in preschool and DD 1 will be home with me.

I'm a bit nervous for DS 6 as he was in K last year, so this is a grade acceleration for him. This will likely be the first time that schoolwork requires him to put in some real effort. I am not sure how he will deal with that. As he was in a K/1 last year, he does know a couple of his classmates, but I'm also a little concerned for him socially as he is very shy. We shall see....

DS7.5 starts 3rd with a math acceleration to 4th at the beginning of September. I'm hopeful it's going to be a good year!

She thought she could, so she did.
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I never finished my post. LOL... I've been MIA from here too long I think. We find out all this tomorrow for both DC. I'm not as nervous for DS7.5, as he will be in with his same peers from last year. He will have a harder teacher, but I welcome this.

I am nervous for DD though. She is not tested, and she is not where DS was at her age. But she surprises us here and there with what she does know/grasp. But that's another story for another thread... smile

A
    A
    DD8 8 is starting 3rd grade in an accelerated program (so it will really be 4th grade across the board) She was mostly As and Bs last year, honor roll twice. We had a bumpy year with her being sick often then we found out it was a dairy issue. Then we had to address her processing and motor incoordination issues, getting a 504 in place for this year... so hoping this year goes smoother not that we have been dealing with so many of her problems. I also learned a lot about her learning style and needs last year.

Her new teacher uses yoga balls in the classroom for the kids to sit on (i love that as DD was contantly falling off the chairs last year) and I am hopeful that she will be in tune with DD. fingers crossed!

M
    M
    DS6 will start 2nd grade in a 1st/2nd multi-age class in a couple of weeks. Over the summer, he's become good friends with some of the 3rd and 4th graders in the class above him, and he just recently stated that he wished he could skip a grade to be closer to them. I've never heard anything like this come out of his mouth before (and he has no idea he's already essentially skipped a grade by starting a year early), so I was pretty shocked. His school has always done a great job of meeting his academic needs regardless of what "grade" he's in (he received 4th grade language arts curriculum in 1st), so I've never seen a need for another skip, but now that he's raised the issue for social reasons, I'm beginning to wonder if it won't be necessary again at some point, even within this school. Promises to be an interesting year.

M
    M
    DD8 will start 3rd grade in a mixed 2nd/3rd grade class in a few weeks. Her teacher is great at differentiation, so it should be a good year. My only concern is that I don't think she'll have any friends in her class.

DS7 starts 3rd grade in an accelerated school after Labor Day. This is the first year we have not had to change his school. Yay! He'll be with all the same kids from the 2nd grade he transferred into last winter.

Originally Posted by MsFriz
    Over the summer, he's become good friends with some of the 3rd and 4th graders in the class above him, and he just recently stated that he wished he could skip a grade to be closer to them. I've never heard anything like this come out of his mouth before (and he has no idea he's already essentially skipped a grade by starting a year early), so I was pretty shocked. His school has always done a great job of meeting his academic needs regardless of what "grade" he's in (he received 4th grade language arts curriculum in 1st), so I've never seen a need for another skip, but now that he's raised the issue for social reasons, I'm beginning to wonder if it won't be necessary again at some point, even within this school.

I'd always read on here that sometimes you're lucky to get a couple of good years out of a placement before something needs to be tweaked. I always thought we'd somehow avoid this since the fit after the accommodations seemed to be working so well on so many levels. But then, lo and behold, my DD casually mentioned in May that the math was too easy and she wanted something higher-level. I was NOT expecting it, but looking back, it makes sense, what with the pace of learning issue and all. Luckily, she's switching to a school where the academics are 1/2 to 1 year beyond her previous school! I (and she) could use a little breathing room!

Any thought of addressing the possibility of a skip to 3rd grade with the school?

She thought she could, so she did.
    Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM