Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 325 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by islandofapples
    ... so I went and read the drama.
    Okay, you've all got me so curious that I googled the other thread on WTM as well. This is getting really unfortunate with all of this 'he said, she said' stuff going on with two forums talking about behavior on another. One thing I do have to say that I like on MDC is that they don't allow linking to or discussing other discussion boards. I'll admit to guilt on having linked another discussion board on another thread b/c someone had brought up a point that supported something I was saying. It wasn't malicious or an attempt to draw negative attention to the other board, though. None the less, perhaps it would be better to add to the guidelines something that disallows discussions of other message boards.

And, in having read that other thread, what I am coming away with is a serious culture clash btwn Jen and a good number of the regulars here. I would hope that, as someone said earlier, people who don't find their "fit" here would realize that and move on without it turning into a major blow up. What makes me say that is her mention of how people here might be interested in her ideas about studying for the CogAT and other mentions that indicate perhaps a greater interest on studying your way to higher test scores. I'd venture to guess that the culture here leans toward showing what a kid can do but not hothousing higher scores.

islandofapples, withholding your useful links seems so... elitist. You'll fit right in.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    islandofapples, withholding your useful links seems so... elitist. You'll fit right in.

Oh yes. That is exactly why I am here! I am an elitist through and through.

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    ... so I went and read the drama.
    Okay, you've all got me so curious that I googled the other thread on WTM as well. This is getting really unfortunate with all of this 'he said, she said' stuff going on with two forums talking about behavior on another. One thing I do have to say that I like on MDC is that they don't allow linking to or discussing other discussion boards. I'll admit to guilt on having linked another discussion board on another thread b/c someone had brought up a point that supported something I was saying. It wasn't malicious or an attempt to draw negative attention to the other board, though. None the less, perhaps it would be better to add to the guidelines something that disallows discussions of other message boards.

And, in having read that other thread, what I am coming away with is a serious culture clash btwn Jen and a good number of the regulars here. I would hope that, as someone said earlier, people who don't find their "fit" here would realize that and move on without it turning into a major blow up. What makes me say that is her mention of how people here might be interested in her ideas about studying for the CogAT and other mentions that indicate perhaps a greater interest on studying your way to higher test scores. I'd venture to guess that the culture here leans toward showing what a kid can do but not hothousing higher scores.
    I thought the same thing about the cogat comment. I don't know what to think, though. Thinking out loud: MDC is commercial, it's about a magazine publication, for profit. That's why they have so many rules and moderation. This forum doesn't have ads or sell anything. It seems like to me this is a public discussion forum for gifted affected people provided as as service by the davidson gifted institute for talent development.
    Loading...Loading...Loading
    still trying to think.
    So, is the purpose of the community here, discussion, right? Well, and rehashing resources.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by Iucounu

Oh yes. That is exactly why I am here! I am an elitist through and through.
    Lol, you're supposed to call it "perfectionists".
    Anyway I thought "elitism" was code word for "high sense of entitlement."

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Thinking out loud: MDC is commercial, it's about a magazine publication, for profit. That's why they have so many rules and moderation. This forum doesn't have ads or sell anything. It seems like to me this is a public discussion forum for gifted affected people provided as as service by the davidson gifted institute for talent development.
    Loading...Loading...Loading
    still trying to think.
    So, is the purpose of the community here, discussion, right? Well, and rehashing resources.
    Yes, I do think that is why MDC doesn't allow people to post links to their blogs or anything else that might be a source of revenue for the poster without paying to be an advertiser. However, I think that some of the rules, such as not allowing people to discuss other discussion boards, aren't necessarily due to MDC being for-profit. I think that the forum guidelines say something about "protecting the integrity of the board." Perhaps it is an effort to avoid things spiraling into schoolyard gossip.

Even w/out the 'no links to your own site; nothing that makes you $, etc.' type of rules, general forum etiquette dictates that one not do so with any regularity. I think that suggestions maybe rather than a strict 'no links' policy might be better, but I'd be willing to abide by either way.

This has been interesting to find out what's inappropriate in this setting. Spam is rude and uncalled for but whoever keeps posting 6 threads about Louis Vuiton handbags at night when everybody's asleep is still going to do it. I actually did not think of the bloggers bombardment as spam because she was linking to relevant posts in a relevant blog. I do think she could have clipt and pasted her answer and put her blog link in her siggy. That would have been normal. But, if I did not know that act was spam I'm certainly not the only one that wouldn't know, the could a generic "No Spam" rule have prevented that behavior. It wOuld create permission to quickly put a stop to it, but "we don't need no stinkin' badges."

D
    D
    So, I don't necessarily think people posting links to their money-making sites are spammers, though they could be...

I will remember to try not to post any self-serving links here, though. ;D
    Just don't do it a dozen (or more) times in rapid succession like Jen and you should be fine.

In fairness, lucounu didn't bring her to tears until after the 15th (or so) post. I thought this was rather restrained for such a viciously elitist nut.

Dandy

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    I actually did not think of the bloggers bombardment as spam because she was linking to relevant posts in a relevant blog.
    In her first several posts, the links were as long as (or longer than) her comments. Over & over again. And most of those links sent the reader off to a bunch of ads & affiliate links.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    In fairness, lucounu didn't bring her to tears until after the 15th (or so) post. I thought this was rather restrained for such a viciously elitist nut.
    And, of course, we all think of lucounu as a bit "off" per what was said about the feelings of other regulars on this board wink.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM