Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
    DAD22 #109993 08/22/11 03:06 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    To me the quotation implies that the speaker of the quotation has assumed the right to judge whether other people have really gifted kids, or are putting tap shoes on elephants. In my reading, it doesn't say "I'm not hothousing"-- it says "stop hothousing YOUR kid, because you're being ridiculous, you'll never make them gifted."

Which may or may not be true. But in my view, judging other people's parenting is pretty much fraught with peril, and the condescension of the quotation is perhaps unnecessarily provocative.

DeeDee

I think the reader would have to view the statement through the polarized lens of their own insecurities to come to the conclusion that they had been judged with disapproval.

Yeah, that.

OP Offline
    Very interesting comments.

I changed the color of the yellow. It's a superficial change that obviously in no way changes the content of the signature line, but for now, take it as it is.

I'm still ruminating on the comment about the search engines dropping parents off at this site. That is really a concern to me.

I don't want to embarrass Davidson in any way.

A
    A
    If an elephant wants to dance, why not? Go Elephant!

fun picture book:
    "Gerald the giraffe doesn't really have delusions of grandeur. He just wants to dance. But his knees are crooked and his legs are thin, and all the other animals mock him when he approaches the dance floor at the annual Jungle Dance. "Hey, look at clumsy Gerald," they sneer. "Oh, Gerald, you're so weird." Poor Gerald slinks away as the chimps cha-cha, rhinos rock 'n' roll, and warthogs waltz. But an encouraging word from an unlikely source shows this glum giraffe that those who are different "just need a different song," and soon he is prancing and sashaying and boogying to moon music (with a cricket accompanist)."

http://www.amazon.com/Giraffes-Cant-Dance-Giles-Andreae/dp/0439287197

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    It seems a bit weightist or pachydermist, but wotthehey. You can't please everyone. A likely interpretation (by someone who's not overly touchy) is that you are put out when someone suggests that your child's abilities are solely the results of training-- as if hothousing could create an ultrabright! Viscosity's low on this one.

I agree with Val. The standard of acceptable speech here is not whether at least one out of a range of possible interpretations could theoretically offend someone, is it? Your signature's fine.
    _____
    Putting a sleight-of-hand artist in a cemetery doesn't make him a necromancer.

Alright, Iucounu! Your "new siggy" is really too much. As the daugher of an undertaker, I'm offended.
    *wink*

Last edited by Ametrine; 08/22/11 04:16 PM.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    I don't want to embarrass Davidson in any way.

Well, remember that this forum has two moderators (I think that Julie is new? Hi Julie!). If you had written something that would make the DI look bad, you'd probably have heard about it from one of them by now.

As I mentioned on the Forum Guidelines thread, I think that Mark has done a great job of moderating this forum, and my feeling is that we should leave these decisions to him. I personally don't like the idea of having self-appointed guardians telling the rest of what we can and can't say (YMMV).

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I also want to agree with everyone who finds the yellow text somewhat offensive. Not because of it's content...but because it's so darn yellow.

Color-ism!!! I love yellow smile

U
    U
    Uh, but seriously--the grammar is still wrong. The subject is "tap shoes." You wouldn't say "These tap shoes doesn't make me a dancer," right?

(Gee, I wonder where my daughter gets her compulsive desire to correct people.)

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Uh, but seriously--the grammar is still wrong. The subject is "tap shoes." You wouldn't say "These tap shoes doesn't make me a dancer," right?

(Gee, I wonder where my daughter gets her compulsive desire to correct people.)

How's this?

I appreciate the grammar help. smile

Kate #110060 08/23/11 10:48 AM
    Originally Posted by Kate
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I also want to agree with everyone who finds the yellow text somewhat offensive. Not because of it's content...but because it's so darn yellow.

Color-ism!!! I love yellow smile

The problem is with my laptop at work. The yellow hurts my eyes on it, even in it's new orangish form.

When I'm at home, it's fine. I noticed that.

So, the problem is with this Dell Laptop, not the color itself.

My bad.

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    The thing is, a child of average build and coordination can be trained to become a great dancer. I don't expect that children with greater potential as dancers suddenly, at six months old, just teach themselves the Charleston as if it were an innate pattern in their superior dancer minds. So I think the analogy is weak.

I can't think of a better way to say it. Maybe something like, "You can't teach a sparrow to soar by telling it to flap its wings harder." But then that sounds offensive.

Speaking of offensive, are there any gifted child jokes floating around, like How many gifted children does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM