Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
    I'm not offended. Do you want to talk about hothousing? Everybody teaches their kids something. Ikind ofunderstand that teaching academics �makes your kid differentis the teachers job.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    U
    U
    I agree with DeeDee, though I am not especially bothered by it.

Also, your subject-verb agreement is off. wink It should be "Tap shoes on an elephant don't make it a dancer." Or "Putting tap shoes on an elephant doesn't make it a dancer."

Hmmm, it seems a little unnecessary here, unless you are suggesting there are hothousers among us. smile

But I'm not offended. I didn't buy the tap shoes, but DS is dancing all over me. LOL!

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    To me the quotation implies that the speaker of the quotation has assumed the right to judge whether other people have really gifted kids, or are putting tap shoes on elephants. In my reading, it doesn't say "I'm not hothousing"-- it says "stop hothousing YOUR kid, because you're being ridiculous, you'll never make them gifted."

Which may or may not be true. But in my view, judging other people's parenting is pretty much fraught with peril, and the condescension of the quotation is perhaps unnecessarily provocative.

DeeDee

I think the reader would have to view the statement through the polarized lens of their own insecurities to come to the conclusion that they had been judged with disapproval.

K
    K
    From a gifted education perspective it doesn't offend me. From an animal rights perspective, not so sure. wink

A
    A
    I think I agree with DeeDee as well, although I'm pretty sure I would have just glossed over your signature and not been too bothered by it.

As you can see, this is my first post. I have spent quite a bit of time lurking because I am really not sure that my child is gifted, or if she is, what level of gifted. As an adult who can identify with what they call "imposter syndrome", it doesn't surprise me that I'm not sure about my daughter - I am very aware of my own insecurities and how they extend to her wink Combine my insecurities with the lack of an IRL community for support and you get (drum roll please) a mild discomfort with your signature line. That really is my problem though, not yours smile

Originally Posted by adrift42
    I have spent quite a bit of time lurking because I am really not sure that my child is gifted, or if she is, what level of gifted.

I have no idea whether my children are "gifted", but I find this entire thread amusing.

My parents had me tested by the age my children are now. I haven't really felt a need to have my children tested yet.

I also want to agree with everyone who finds the yellow text somewhat offensive. Not because of it's content...but because it's so darn yellow.

It seems a bit weightist or pachydermist, but wotthehey. You can't please everyone. A likely interpretation (by someone who's not overly touchy) is that you are put out when someone suggests that your child's abilities are solely the results of training-- as if hothousing could create an ultrabright! Viscosity's low on this one.

I agree with Val. The standard of acceptable speech here is not whether at least one out of a range of possible interpretations could theoretically offend someone, is it? Your signature's fine.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    I'm not offended. But then, I consider myself to be the most anti-flashcard mom I know. ;-)

I find this thread amusing as well, mostly because my DD has no sense of rhythm and the thought of her tap dancing made me spit my coffee on the computer screen.

Two things I really enjoy reading in this forum: user's signatures and reasons for editing ... some of the best laughs of the day!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    I
    I
    lol I'm not offended at all. I might be a mom of a ND child and I might even end up hot housing her on accident and thinking she is gifted for the next few years. Presumably, I'm the person who should be most offended. ;D

Last edited by islandofapples; 08/22/11 03:07 PM.
    Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM