Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    And I see that no one here has suggested Roald Dahl... My kids LOVE his books for bedtime stories. Try the Twits, James and the Giant Peach, BFG to start. Older kids will love Matilda, the Witches...

Oh, YES!!! Love, love, love Roald Dahl. Fantastic Mr. Fox and George's Marvelous Medicine are two of my favourites!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    U
    U
    My little girl has been enjoying the Rainbow Fairies: Pet Fairies.

M
    M
    kathleen's mum I totally forgot about George's marvelous medicine - I am so getting that at month end laugh

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    P
    P
    My DD loved James and the Giant Peach and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but I thought they may be a bit much for a 3 year old so I edited them out of my earlier post. Kids love Roald Dahl but I find many of his characters SO dark...

T
    T
    The Betsy-Tacy books by Maude Hart Lovelace--wonderful series and starts when the girls are around 3-4 years old. The Betsy character is wonderful! There is a part in the first book where Tacy's infant sister has died, you can skip it though if you find where it is.

Junie B. Jones are fun even though Junie is a sassy little girl--my DD was quite shocked by some of her antics. She's fun to read aloud though because the character has a great voice and many altered understandings of words (pronunciation, syntax and meaning smile ).

Phantom Tollbooth? My kids were older when we read them, but I think it would be ok.

Mercy Watson books by Kate DiCamillo if she likes a bit of silly now and again (my kids were constantly quoting one of the characters)

It's fun reading peoples' ideas because in our house there is usually some oft-quoted line that comes immediately to mind and brings a smile on to my face. In our house oft-quoted lines tend to the silly rather than the profound wink

O
    O
    I love this thread because it brings back great memories. In fact this Discussion Board is wonderful!Thank you!

Some real sweet stories are Biscuit. Before my daughter could read I would point to the words "Wolf, Wolf" which are frequent in the book. As she was ready, we added the "Meow". She was all proud reading this, which boosted her confidence.

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/22/11 06:55 PM.
    B
    B
    DS (3.75) loved all the above, especially Magic Tree House, Magic School bus, Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair series, Frog and Toad, Paddington. He is now reading Puppy Place books (all very tame as he is sensitive to anything scary) and Pet Vet books. He still loves more in-depth picture books as well as non-fiction++. Non-fiction are great as you don't need to worry so much about the content smile. He started with the Usborne Beginner series eg space, castles etc but now reads anything.

We have a whole Little Golden Book library my grandmother sent to us. You will never know what you're going to read. It includes stuff like Hansel and Gretel, The Emporers New Clothes, and The Poky Little Puppy. They have a great word/picture balance. I like the illustrations.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    E
    E
    I have some more suggestions.

We have slowly transitioned to reading much longer books. We have been enjoying E.B. White (Charlotte's Web went over better than Stuart Little, the latter got kind of weird in the end,) George Seldon (A Cricket in Time's Square, Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse, Harry Cat's Pet Puppy) Roald Dahl (The Enormous Crocodile), Emily Jenkins (Toys Go Out).

We have really been impressed with her comprehension of these longer chapter books with very little pictures read over the course of a few nights. She has a knack for remembering small details, although some more mature themes go over her head. But, she can relay the plot really well. And, she enjoys them. So, although we still enjoy our favorite picture books, I am now on the lookout for longish read-alouds with rich vocabulary that a three-year-old can relate to. Like MegMeg said, we want books that are not easy readers. So, I'm bumping this thread for more leads.

We are going to order the My Father's Dragon series as well as more books from the authors above. probably for Christmas.

She also still loves Shel Silverstein poems. They are right up her weird alley, and she has been memorizing so many.

K
    K
    Oh WE ALL loved Toys Go Out ... you'd also likely LOVE Edward Tulane (parts are sad but so powerful).

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM