Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Ultramarina, good point. That's why they make that term "zone of proximal development", what an individual is ready to learn right now! There's a pretty good argument for frequent continual re-evaluation, but who's got the time or desire? (besides kids parents)
    Thank you Giftodd, it was nice to read, like a cup of tea for the mind. The illustrative pictures were lovely as well. I liked many parts but lol'd at the part that said since we're living 30 years longer these days we get a second middle age lifespan. Woo-hoo!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    T
    T
    Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting!

Originally Posted by La Texican
    That's why they make that term "zone of proximal development", what an individual is ready to learn right now!

Exactly!

K
    K
    Making judgments about a young person's potential at any one moment overlooks the fact that time is needed for complexes of genes to get in tune. And so we write people off. For others, we write the check too soon.

This would argue against IDing gifted kids, wouldn't it? And then we get into the "We should treat all kids the same/all kids are gifted" stuff, don't we? That, by the way, is the most common response I've heard from my friends to the fact that DD is entering a FT gifted program...

I don't think it would necessarily! I think it would advocate for ongoing assessment and teaching to individual children instead of pigeon holing kids into a few groups. Many gifted kids really aren't served by the typical grade level enrichment and acceleration offered. Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I'd love to see education more customized for ALL kids. And maybe this is the reason we're homeschooling at the moment. smile The no child left behind paradigm is clearly not working.

Anyway - great article. Thank you. I was a bit of a late bloomer myself.

B
    B
    Well, you may be a dreamer, but plenty of teachers and school districts share your vision. And yes, NCLB has been a very slow train wreck, very difficult for this teacher who started her K12 career in 2002 to live through!

M
    M
    I was at late bloomer, so was my DH. Our kids seem to be as well, even the one who is not LD is "underachieving" for a 5yr old of her IQ. My 18 mth old is on fire :-). I can't think of anyone I know who has done the reverse.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM