Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Does anyone know of a recommendable online problem-based calculus course? I don't care about the teaching material as such, but I'd really like something to save me making up my own exercise sheets, ideally online with automatic marking. Here's a brain dump of what I know about and why it still leaves me looking for something better (maybe someone else will find something ideal that I don't!)

- I like the explanation leaflets at MathCentre, which are what we've been using so far, but it's essentially paper based, it doesn't have many exercises and it doesn't mix them up (you read a leaflet on X and the questions on it require you to use X - no thought required! They really are examples not problems.)

- Khan Academy has loads of videos, but it doesn't have a coherent sent of exercises yet for this area

- If Alcumus covered calculus that would be ideal, but it doesn't.

- ALEKS is a possibility but not a great one for a combination of intellectual and technical reasons: at the higher levels it doesn't seem to do a great job of identifying prior knowledge so it gets very tedious, and more importantly for me it doesn't work properly on Linux these days (though if anyone has solved that problem I'd still like to hear about it).

What else is there that I might consider? Anyone know something wonderful?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you! You're right that neither of those is a complete answer, but Visual Calculus has quite a few "drills" and "quizzes" which are automatically marked (or show the answer when you press a button) which look useful, and although I should have thought about MIT, I hadn't :-)

W
    W
    I am not sure if this will work for you, but maybe look at
    http://www.eimacs.com/

Val Offline
    Hmm. The best thing I can think of, if all you want are exercises, are a couple good books:

The Humongous Book of Calculus Problems

Calculus Workbook for Dummies

Both books have lots of problems. The first one has the most problems, but the layout of the Dummies book is better. The Dummies problems are less challenging and are good for someone who's starting out. All the problems are worked out step-by-step.

You could also try to get hold of an instructor's manual for any random textbook. These manuals have solutions for all the problems.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for the EIMACS suggestion - I'd only seen their expensive logic courses, and hadn't realised that they also have a cheap calculus course. I'll look into that!

Books are not really what I'm wanting (I have some, but largely for practical reasons - he'd have to carry them around, and carrying even the rather small GCSE book last year taught us the disadvantages of that! - even good ones aren't much use to me right now). But now the thread is here and maybe someone else will find it useful in future.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM