Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Wren #109603 08/18/11 04:24 AM
    M
    M
    Well Wren, I certainly have one child that wants what she wants when she wants it, has since birth, and generally she is a force to be reckoned with.

Wren #109614 08/18/11 07:57 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Originally Posted by islandofapples
    Well, what tools did you have to be able to do all those things? I haven't left the country yet. You probably know the answer better than some of us...

Good question. The only things I can think of is desire and luck, and the willingness to try. The biggest comment I get on my talent is that I can "make it happen". Which means I do not take no well. I refuse to take no well. Not sure if that just means I want what I want or what.

Ren

I haven't traveled around the world or anything (though I really want to... we were going to Europe before I found out I was pregnant.)

But I've also wondered why I did things none of my peers did. (Like getting fairly far in my music career, which was my main goal as a teen.) and I decided it was just my willingness to try and persist. Isn't one of the characteristics of giftedness persistence?

I just found that when I got near the "top", already having self-discipline and being able to work hard to get better at something would have helped me a lot. I definitely haven't been influenced by any Puritan ideals, either. I've only my own experience to go by. The vast majority of people (at least that I've met) will quit something whenever it gets too rough.

If you can keep a child loving a challenge and working hard at something without them feeling like they "must be dumb" because they need to work at it, I'd say your child would have a huge advantage over a lot of other people.

(Just think of all the divorces, obesity, people who hate their jobs but don't want to do the initial work to start their own business, etc.)

Did self-discipline or the ability to work hard and not quit help you to be successful? Persistence and other things might show up with giftedness, but I don't think self-discipline and the willingness to work through difficulty are necessarily inborn traits. Someone with an average IQ could likely accomplish quite a lot if they had those traits.

Wren #109617 08/18/11 08:14 AM
    I do not take no well. I refuse to take no well. Not sure if that just means I want what I want or what.

I think extreme stubbornness is one hallmark of talent. So can be great flexibility. smile

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Wren #109621 08/18/11 08:28 AM
    U
    U
    This is making me think of the experiment with kids and marshmallows. Have we discussed this here before? Fascinating stuff. FTR, I did the experiment with my kid (intense, often difficult, VERY FOCUSED when she wants something) and she passed with flying colors.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/05/18/090518fa_fact_lehrer

Wren #109628 08/18/11 09:25 AM
    B
    B
    At one time I wanted to write a children's article on that psychologist. I must have the beginnings of that draft somewhere.

Wren #109637 08/18/11 11:00 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Willing to delay gratification is a good one but how many gifted people really apply that to their lives? Not all gifted people are well fit and healthy eaters as adults.

And I do not think persistence is linked to giftedness. I think it is nurtured. Just like discipline or being able to delay gratification.

Which means that being gifted is like a lucky break but in no measure guarantees any kind of success.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Ren

Wren #109639 08/18/11 11:12 AM
    The fact that something can be nurtured does not mean it is not linked to giftedness. If you'd like to explore the topic further, here are a couple of links:

http://www.google.com/#tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=("Persistence")+(gifted+OR+giftedness)
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%28%22Persistence%22%29+%28gifted+OR+giftedness%29&nfpr=1

Wren #109642 08/18/11 11:24 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I did google persistence and gifted and did not see a "nature" link, it appeared to be nutured. In fact there were several things that came up and mentioned teaching persistence to gifted children.

Ren

Wren #109643 08/18/11 11:27 AM
    Which means that being gifted is like a lucky break but in no measure guarantees any kind of success.

It's not a "lucky break".

It's a feature of a particular person that provides a wider range of outcomes because the circle of potential is larger.

Some outcomes are much more positive or "successful".

Some outcomes are much more negative. See World History for further details.

Wren #109646 08/18/11 11:52 AM
    I did google persistence and gifted and did not see a "nature" link, it appeared to be nutured. In fact there were several things that came up and mentioned teaching persistence to gifted children.

Ren

When very young children show persistence as a trait, it's probably at least part of their nature. Again, the fact that you can find a reference to something being taught does not mean that there is no link to giftedness; there are scads of references, some of which come up in those starter searches, showing that there are indeed links between persistence and giftedness.

A sample that literally took me less than five seconds to pull up, from one of the starting links I gave you:
    http://gcq.sagepub.com/content/31/2/70.short
    "Gifted students showed more persistence in regard to the difficult task than EMR students and also chose more often to repeat the difficult task."

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM